cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is IS-IS supported as a PE-CE protocol?

emelloul
Level 1
Level 1

I've seen numerous topics about this, but I wanted to touch base to see if the view has changed or what the latest is on this?  I have a customer that's wanting to do the following:

CE --- PE --- PE --- CE

Standard MPLS configuration, nothing fancy here.  After the VPNv4 peering between the PE's, they want to run IS-IS as their IGP to redistribute into BGP.  Everything that I've read says that IS-IS as an IGP for PE-CE route exchange is not supported.

Here is a thread talking about this, but it's somewhat old:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12043556/pe-ce-connectivity-integrated

Any feedback is appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

IS-IS isn't supported on a PE-CE design. As far as I know it's always in a draft Internet publication.

You can use all others protocols.

I used to implement 80% of the time BGP, but I've also used OSPF and EIGRP. 

1 time in the last 10 years I've been asked to build it in RIPv2.

Thanks 

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this solved your issue 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

IS-IS isn't supported on a PE-CE design. As far as I know it's always in a draft Internet publication.

You can use all others protocols.

I used to implement 80% of the time BGP, but I've also used OSPF and EIGRP. 

1 time in the last 10 years I've been asked to build it in RIPv2.

Thanks 

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this solved your issue 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Vinit Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think VRF aware IS-IS is supported on IOS devices but not on XR. So you can possibly used IS-IS as PE-CE but it is not usually used between PE-CE in real production environments.

Regards

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit