Helpful
Replies

is it possible to add my own bgp extended community in bgp

duraipandi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

PE1-----------------PE2

in my setup i have vrf1 and vrf2 on PE1 and PE2 with same export and import community .

for each vrf i configured some address ex :

PE1:

vrf1 :

addr : 1.1.1.1

vrf2 :

addr: 2.2.2.2

PE2:

vrf1:

addr : 3.3.3.3

vrf2:

addr: 4.4.4.4

now my requirement is to carry 1.1.1.1 addr for vrf1 to all other PE in this case PE2 , similarly all other PW was able to carry addr configured under vrf to each other PE . for this i can carry this info to other PE using bgp extended community attribute , but as i know that bgp ex . community should be reserved by  IETF . how to add my own bgp ex.community i need to req ietf to carry my own addr , or any bgp ex.community is available to carry this  address for each vrf from each PE to other PE .

Thanks

Duriapandi

4 Replies 4

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Durai,

Am I assuming right that you want 1.1.1.1 (vrf1) on PE1 to be advertised and installed in vrf table of PE2 vrf1 and vrf2 table?.

You can control this by the use of  Route Target extended community. This is domain significant extended community and so you dont need to request IETF. You can design the network with your RT value.

Hi Nagendra

my requirement is like this .

PE3

|

|

PE1--------PE2

PE1 have vrf vrf1 with same export and import community but with value 1.1.1.1 .

PE2 have vrf vrf1 with same export and import community but with value 2.2.2.2 .

PE3 have vrf vrf1 with same export and import community but with value 3.3.3.3 .

1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 and 3.3.3.3 will vary for each vrf on each PE

my goal is to exchange address 1.1.1.1 from PE1  to PE2,PE3 using bgp msg.

similarly for vrf2 i can have address PE1: 1.1.1.2 , 2.2.2.3 , 3.3.3.1 .

using this address i want to create gre tunnel for each pe and each vrf .

is it possible to exchange this vrf and PE specific address with out creating new ex. community .

1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 and 3.3.3.3 address all are virtual address not  customer specific routes .

Thanks

Duraipandi

Hi Duraipandi,

I am not sure I understood your requirement...

PE1 have vrf vrf1 with same export and import community but with value 1.1.1.1 .

PE2 have vrf vrf1 with same export and import community but with value 2.2.2.2 .

PE3 have vrf vrf1 with same export and import community but with value 3.3.3.3 .

<Nagendra> I hope you mean, PE1, PE2, PE3 are configured with 1.1.1.1, 2.2.2.2 and 3.3.3.3 respectively in vrf1 loopback or other virtual interface?. I am assuming yes.

<Nagendra> It is possible. As long as the right RT is exported and imported, you can exchange vrf1 address from PE1 to PE2 vrf1 table.

<Nagendra>I am not sure I understood this. Do you mean, you want ot create GRE tunnel from other nodes to PE1, PE2 and PE3?. From topology given here, I believe PE1,PE2,PE3 are directly connected with MPLS enabled on the link between them?. 

is it possible to exchange this vrf and PE specific address with out creating new ex. community .

1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 and 3.3.3.3 address all are virtual address not  customer specific routes .

<Nagendra> Inorder to exchange VRF address (technically VPNv4 address) from one PE to other, you dont need other ext-community than RT and RD whcih is your design choice.

-Nagendra

Hi Nagendra

<Nagendra> I hope you mean, PE1, PE2, PE3 are configured with 1.1.1.1, 2.2.2.2 and 3.3.3.3 respectively in vrf1 loopback or other virtual interface?. I am assuming yes.

[durai] : u understood correct .

<Nagendra> It is possible. As long as the right RT is exported and imported, you can exchange vrf1 address from PE1 to PE2 vrf1 table.

[durai] : actually the address 1.1.1.1  is not under vrf , using this address i plan to create dynmaic gre tunnel from PE1 to PE2,PE3 .

<Nagendra>I am not sure I understood this. Do you mean, you want ot create GRE tunnel from other nodes to PE1, PE2 and PE3?. From topology given here, I believe PE1,PE2,PE3 are directly connected with MPLS enabled on the link between them?. 

[durai] : between PE1 and PE2 and PE3 gre tunnel was not enabled here . since core device do not support mpls .

<Nagendra> Inorder to exchange VRF address (technically VPNv4 address) from one PE to other, you dont need other ext-community than RT and RD whcih is your design choice .

[durai] : i got this point , but my goal is to for vrf all PE need to know others PE virtual address some how .

Thanks

Duraipandi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: