Views
Helpful
Replies

L2VPN pseudo-wire redundancy to track IP SLA

narainarun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Basis on the network diagram attached, I have an issue in achieving the requirement. Please refer the network diagram attachment for understanding.

Connectivity between PE to CE is achieved. CE is connected in MSTP based Ethernet ring topology comprised of Three Cisco Catalyst switches. Ethernet ring is connected to two Core nodes - CN1 and CN2. PE is connected to CN3.

Two Pseudo-wires are built between CN1 to CN3 and CN2 to CN3. CN1 to CN3 is Active PW and CN2 to CN3 is Standby PW. This is to protect against failure of CN1 router. 

The solution works fine end to end when CN1 router fails. But the challenge is when there are multiple fiber cuts in Ethernet Ring. Suppose if Segment 1 and Segment 2 are down, then PW between CN1 to CN3 staill stays UP, but the traffic between PE to CE is dropped though the traffic has to fail-over on Standby PW between CN2 to CN3.

I am looking for mechanism to bind "IP SLA" under pseudo-wire configuration in CN1 and CN2. So that in CN1 I can configure IP SLA to check the reachability of SW3, if it is unreachable, Active PW should go down. By this way when Segment 1 and Segment 2 fails, traffic between CE to PE and vice-versa is flowing through Standby PW between CN2 to CN3.

Please suggest a solution to this problem.

thanks in advance,

Arun

1 Reply 1

Vinit Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Arun

i think you should look into Ethernet CFM solution which is very useful for ethernet fault management. It includes proactive connectivity monitoring, fault verification, and fault isolation for large Ethernet metropolitan-area networks (MANs) and WANs.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2sr/12_2sra/feature/guide/srethcfm.html

Hope this helps.

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit