Helpful
Replies

MPLS and Internet Failover

Vinayaka Raman
Level 1
Level 1
Attached Topology

HUB Site 1 and 2 has direct internet link

All sites are interconnected via full mesh L3 MPLS cloud and have eBGP peering from CE to PE.
Site A should prefer HUB 1 Internet as primary and HUB 2 as backup
Site B should prefer HUB 2 Internet as primary and HUB 1 as backup
I am working with the provider to get send community enabled on the MPLS cloud.

Some Questions:

Can someone review and design suggest me if this would work? 
Once I tag and distinguish default routes that is injected at the hub sites, will they appear in BGP table of remote site for sure ?
The provider is not convinced to enable send-community yet and we are still struggling with them. In case they are unable to enable send community, Are there any easy alternate method to achieve the requirement? Will GRE tunnels be more complicated to achieve this ?
Regards Vinayak
3 Replies 3

Vinayaka Raman
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All, Any help will be appreciated..let me know if you need more details.thanks

Regards Vinayak

This is the response i got from the provider.. 

"Thanks for your sharing, we have studied your network requirement very carefully. We understand your intention to inject twodifferent default routes with different community from two HUB to each of the site. However, our concern is that even with community tagging in place, the solution will still not able to work. Reason being when our Route-Reflector received  both default routes, our PE will still advertise only the best route to other PE. PE will only select the best route and advertise to CE. Hence, regardless of the number of default routes in the network, PE only select the best one and send to CE. CE will still receive only one route."

Regards Vinayak

Hello.

If the ISP is using unique RD per site, then RR should not be an issue, but remote PE!

With PE they are right - it would announce you only a single prefix, so the decision must be made on the PE (not CE).

If the ISP would agree to adjust vrf routing to prefer one community over another, then it could be a solution (but I really doubt if they will agree, as you struggled to have communities).

GRE could be a much easier option.

PS:

Reason being when our Route-Reflector received  both default routes, our PE will still advertise only the best route to other PE

Probably they meant "the best router to your CE", otherwise I don't understand the point.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: