Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS Traffic Engineering and OSPF

grichardson661
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm pretty new to MPLS. A colleague and I and setting up a MPLS LAB in a physical ring topology.

Has anyone any ideas how we suppress an MPLS tunnel from becoming a transit to reach the physical OSPF enabled interfaces (that connect the ring). These interfaces physically connect the ring topology and is the backbone running in Area 0. The Tunnels should not become a transit these physical interfaces as it blocks further MPLS path engineering.

It seems we need to apply some sort of filter (whether's its multi process OSPF, VRF or a MPLS function) to prevent the physical /30 networks from being advertised into the MPLS tunnels.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Akash Agrawal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

A topology and basic network configuration would help to unerstand exact query. If you dont want to transit any tunnel through a particular link and dont want to advertise a particular /30 network into TE topology database, can't we simply disable TE on that link.

Probably i am not getting your query peroperly.

Regards,

Akash

View solution in original post

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I presume you use the "autoroute announce", which would explain the behavior you are currently using. With "autoroute announce", all ospf routes downstream of the TE tunnel tail end will be reachable via the tunnel interface. You can remove the "autoroute announce" and use a static route with the tunnel interface as the next hop to selectively use the tunnel.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Akash Agrawal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

A topology and basic network configuration would help to unerstand exact query. If you dont want to transit any tunnel through a particular link and dont want to advertise a particular /30 network into TE topology database, can't we simply disable TE on that link.

Probably i am not getting your query peroperly.

Regards,

Akash

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I presume you use the "autoroute announce", which would explain the behavior you are currently using. With "autoroute announce", all ospf routes downstream of the TE tunnel tail end will be reachable via the tunnel interface. You can remove the "autoroute announce" and use a static route with the tunnel interface as the next hop to selectively use the tunnel.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Removing 'autoroute announce' and adding static routes for the tunnels has resolved the issue we were seeing. Cheers guys!