Views
Helpful
Replies

MS Dissertation on BGP

b6034225
Level 1
Level 1

Hello folks,

I am at last stage of my MS in Advanced Computer Networks. and I am stuck in finalizing the topic for my dissertation. My area of interest is routing protocols specially BGP. It will be very helpful if someone please give me some examples of what I can do in BGP for my dissertation.. Thank you in advance.  

7 Replies 7

sreenivasgajula
Level 1
Level 1

Look into EVPN/PBB-EVPN, I think there is a lot going on in this area with new BGP address-families.

hello

thank you for your your response. I was thinking about Mpls BGP or mp bgp. What is your opinion?

Thank you in advance.

Not sure what you mean by “mpls bgp”, if you mean BGP transporting labels that is covered by: RFC 3107 - Carrying Label Information in BGP-4, it is a great tool as it allows one to insert yet another level of indirection, or in other words allows one to build hierarchical MPLS architectures.

adam

netconsultings.com

::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::

adam

Yes I am talking about the same.

Good choice, there are tons of online material.

You can start small, explaining how BGP operates and how MP-BGP extensions allow it to be used for virtually any application and how it can allocate and distribute labels and how RFC3107 works, (btw same principles are used in BGP to distribute VPN labels).

And then you can tackle the more advanced topics, i.e. the use cases for RFC3107 and how it can help scaling MPLS backbones endlessly (to virtually any number of PEs).

You have the good old use cases in scaling IGP in multi-AS MPLS and Carrier Supporting Carrier deployments

And then reinvented RFC3107 for hierarchical MPLS within a single AS –helping to scale IGP when 1000’s of eNodeB (5G cells) are actually MPLS PEs (The buzzword for this use case is Unified/Seamless MPLS).

Also don’t forget to mention some of the drawbacks of this solutions –mainly convergence speed, since by default BGP is much slower than IGP, but there is BGP PIC Edge/Core to help speed things up.

But even BGP PIC core can’t help in some cases –as it depends on how fast the information about a failure of an egress PE can reach ingress PEs –and if ingress PEs are in different AS we have to rely on slow propagation via BGP (instead of fast IGP) for this purposes though there are other solutions promise to help with the restoration locally within the AS by a P router –until PEs in remote ASes are being notified.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-minto-2547-egress-node-fast-protection-03

https://www.google.com/patents/US9525619

-there where many drafts related to this topic, but I’m not sure actually if any of these solutions can work with hierarchical MPLS deployments, i.e. RFC3107.

adam

netconsultings.com

adam

Adam Vitkovsky
Level 3
Level 3

Look at BGP from the perspective of a very robust and well established infrastructure to disseminate/collect ANY information across the internet (or within an enterprise), I suggest you try exploiting novel ways on how this powerful capability could be used in future.

Now the information distributed/collected can be used to route traffic across the inter-networks, but it can be also used to collect various types of information from the network, or to trigger a certain behaviour on nodes receiving such an information, or even alter the configuration on nodes receiving a specific information, etc… possibilities are endless.

To track latest developments in BGP I suggest you join the IETF IDR(Inter Domain routing = BGP) WG mailing list: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

adam

netconsultings.com

adam

hello

thank you for your your response. I was thinking about Mpls BGP or mp bgp. What is your opinion?

Thank you in advance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: