cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MVPN - Dense to sparse mode conversion

sankarccie
Level 1
Level 1

We have a MVPN in 7613 router, in which a dense mode feed is used as Source and we are receiving Dense mode only. All the backbone interface are configured as sparse-dense mode. But when we configure a RP-address for this MVPN its behave as Sparse mode.

1.Is this conversion is possible??

2. If so, Can we again convert SM to DM???

3. Once the feed going out from MPLS network, will DM or SM flag be there or its local to MPLS only?

Thanks in advance

Sankar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sankar,

I am not sure if I understood your query right. When you say about dense mode, do you mean it on CE side?.

Normally if you have sparse-dense mode enabled and if you dont have RP configured, it will act as dense mode and if RP is available, it will behave as sparse mode. If my assumption on your query is right, can you check if you have sparse-dense mode enabled?.

As mentioned above, with sparse-dense mode it is possible depending on RP availability.

Do you want to have your C-multicats traffic as DM?. If you need DM for your business, you may have to enable PIM dense mode on the interfaces.

3. Once the feed going out from MPLS network, will DM or SM flag be there or its local to MPLS only?

C-multicast and P-multicast are totally independent. You can have dense mode enabled on Customer network while sparse mode enabled on SP cloud. They are not inter related.

If my understanding on your query is wrong, please explain more.

HTH,

Nagendra

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sankar,

I am not sure if I understood your query right. When you say about dense mode, do you mean it on CE side?.

Normally if you have sparse-dense mode enabled and if you dont have RP configured, it will act as dense mode and if RP is available, it will behave as sparse mode. If my assumption on your query is right, can you check if you have sparse-dense mode enabled?.

As mentioned above, with sparse-dense mode it is possible depending on RP availability.

Do you want to have your C-multicats traffic as DM?. If you need DM for your business, you may have to enable PIM dense mode on the interfaces.

C-multicast and P-multicast are totally independent. You can have dense mode enabled on Customer network while sparse mode enabled on SP cloud. They are not inter related.

If my understanding on your query is wrong, please explain more.

HTH,

Nagendra