cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PE->PE MPLS TE, massive configuration works required

networknoobs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've a customer with 4 primary sites (each primary site has 1 pair of P-routers), then we've 10 remote sites (each remote site has 1 pair of PE routers).

So that makes up to 8 P-Routers and 20 PE-Routers. Things get messy here, we've got a request to configure TE for PE-PE, which effectively there are 20*(20-1)=380 tunnels to be created among all the sites as it is a full-meshed network.

If really we go all the way and configure all the tunnel interface, I've seen some config example whereby we set "ip rsvp bandwidth" based on the actual transmission bandwidth on all the transit link, then reserve the bandwidth using "tunnel mpls traffic-eng bandwidth <allocate-bandwidth>".

Does that means if the P-routers has no sufficient bandwidth then the tunnel would not be established? Or they will use the bandwidth adaptively?

If talking about the dynamic TE tunnel where we let IGP select the path, would that means that even one of the link between P-Routers has been congested, it would not find another path dynamically?

I don't wish to go to an explicitly defined path tunnel as configuration maintenance would be killing the operation team, we're fairly new to the TE and its a big headache as of the moment.

I'd appreciate some suggestion, whether to go for dynamic TE (380 tunnels to be created among the 10 sites) or any other better option, if I've the tunnel with all the reserved bandwidth, how would the QoS would come into the picture, as 1 single router has 19 tunnels to every other routers among the 10 sites, so I'll need to know exactly from SiteA-PE1 to SiteZ-PE1 bandwidth required and for the rest of it?

Sorry if my question not really clear as I've been reading through lots and lots of documents and sometimes that messed up the brain

Would be appreciate to see some suggestion though, thanks

16 Replies 16

Hello Creed,

you are already suggesting another way in the new thread.

By the way, I want to thank you for your kind and too generous marking of all my posts in this thread.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

But I really thought that your comments in the threads helps a lot.

I'm thinking AutoTunnel Primary and Backup for most of the traffics, while a small portion of selected traffic via the Manual provisioned tunnel with explicit path.

But I just had issues with this and it has been listed in another thread, would appreciate if you could look into it if u have some spare times. :-)