Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Fulfillment 6.2 - VPN Topology issues

Vorvalyov1023
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I have a Cisco UCS C260 M2 router with ESX 5 on it. And virtual machine with Red Hat, where Prime Fulfillment 6.2 installed. All of PF6.2 configurations made with Installation and User Guides. But I got a problem with VPN Topology Map view.

When I try to start the map I got an error:

Failed to get the properties from the DB

And in stack trace of this window:

Cannot open connection to the database to read configuration

com.cisco.vpnsc.apps.csmconsole.ConfHostWebStartProperties.getConnection(ConfHostWebStartProperties.java:203)

com.cisco.vpnsc.apps.csmconsole.ConfHostWebStartProperties.<init>(ConfHostWebStartProperties.java:40)

com.cisco.vpnsc.apps.csmconsole.DBReadOnlyWebStartConfigStore.getPropertiesDirect(DBReadOnlyWebStartConfigStore.java:331)

com.cisco.vpnsc.apps.csmconsole.DBReadOnlyWebStartConfigStore.init(DBReadOnlyWebStartConfigStore.java:143)

com.cisco.vpnsc.conf.ConfigStore.getInstance(ConfigStore.java:130)

com.cisco.vpnsc.apps.csmconsole.ManagementConsole.<init>(ManagementConsole.java:117)

com.cisco.vpnsc.apps.csmconsole.ManagementConsole.main(ManagementConsole.java:98)

sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)

com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)

com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)

com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)

java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

May be somebody have the same issues, please help me to resolve it.

Also I have attacheв the screenshot of the error window.

16 Replies 16

Andre Gustavo Albuquerque
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Which DB do you use (Sybase or Oracle)?

It usually indicates a problem connecting to the DB, and it may be a problem with the /etc/hosts file or /etc/nsswitch.conf, meaning that the hostname + FQDN is not mapped properly on the system (hosts and/or DNS, depending on the nsswitch.conf).

HTH

Vorvalyov1023
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andre!

I have no any DB installed in the network.

And as I can see my DNS server works: I can see all of my devices in nslookup and all of them I can ping by name and by IP-address.

Please see attached scheme.

I try to say, that My host knows only about UCS with PF (without DNS). Should I include the host in the PRIME Network?

Thank you.

Prime Fulfillment can use an embedded Sybase or external Oracle DBs.

If you did the default install and didn't asked to use Oracle, you are using Sybase.

The error indicates PrimeF cannot connect with the Sybase DB.

What is the content of /etc/hosts and /etc/nsswitch.conf?

If you didn't change anything from the default installation of RHEL, the name lookup entry @ nsswitch.conf should be the same as below:

hosts:      files dns

If this is the case, the nsswitch.conf is Ok and you should look at /etc/hosts.

Cheers, Gustavo

This step on the installation is meant to avoid an issue with hosts file configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/prime/fulfillment/6.2/installation/guide/instlog.html#wp1247144

To execute the host_edit.pl script file:

1) Login as root user using the CLI in Prime Fulfillment server.

2) Execute the host_edipt.pl script as shown below by providing the Prime Central hostname and IP address.

/bin/host_edit.pl

This updates the /etc/hosts file on the Prime Fulfillment server and enables the SSL functionality.

If you did it properly, it should be working. If you didn't, it's better to remove the current installation and start the process from the beginning.

More information on troubleshooting DB connectivity may be found at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/prime/fulfillment/6.2/installation/guide/aptrbl.html#wp1052981

HTH, Gustavo

Thank you for your reply! I shold try to make these changes. But it will be tomorrow. As soon as I get some results I'll share it with you.

Gustavo, one more question.

Can I make any backup for my PF? To save the current configuration of devices, providers and VPNs, if I have to uninstall and install the programm again?

Is this an existing PF that stopped to work?

I was under impression that it was the first installation and it failed.

Did it ever worked?

Well. This is the first installation. It's working... All Diagnostics, Service requests, TE Topology working good. We had troubles with VPN Topology from the beginning. But I thought that we can resolve it later. Thanks God that PF is installed in lab. Will try to resolve the problem before to deploy PF at client.

So, the connection to the DB should be good. There should be something else.

Procedures for backup and recovery can be found at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/prime/fulfillment/6.2/installation/guide/apbkup.html

I would recommend you to follow the troubleshooting hints described at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/prime/fulfillment/6.2/installation/guide/aptrbl.html#wp1006077

If nothing works, if I were you, I would backup the database, remove and reinstall PF (clean install), and see if VPN topology maps works. If it works, backup the database with a new name. Recover the old database and see if VPN topology maps works. If it doesn't work, you may either open a SR with Cisco TAC for further investigation or recover the working DB and rebuild your configuration.

Cheers

Thank you very much!

I'll try all of your advices. But I think I know what is the problem. I haven't configure the DNS before installation. But I'll know it tomorrow. We are in GMT +6 zone).

Thanks and regards

Ilya.

Hello again!

So I have made a new Red Hat VM and re-installed PF again. Before the PM installation I configured DNS Server, where all my devices included. I created all of my Devices, Providers, Regions, Customers and sites in PF. My PF can see all of them and Config collection was successful. I can run the MPLS TE topology (it's empty by this time, but the applet is working). Everything was ok until I pushed the VPN Topology button. I see the same error in Java - DB is empty.

I can't understand - what is wrong with my PF.

As I said, if you were able to create SRs, etc, the DB connection should be good.

Are you running the latest patches? (6.2.1.4)

If so, open a TAC case.

Cheers, Gustavo

To find known problems in Cisco Prime Fulfillment 6.2.x, use the following URL:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit

You must log into Cisco.com.

You can search for specific bugs or search for a range by product name.  This tool enables you to query for keywords, severity, range, or  version.

Use the following search criteria to locate bugs for Prime Fulfillment 6.2.x:

Product category: Network Management and Automation

Product: Cisco IP Solution Center.

Software version: 6.2 (For a list of bugs open against all releases, choose ANY.)

The results display bug ID and title, found-in version, fixed-in  version, and status. The bug ID is a hyperlink to detailed information  for the bug ID's product, component, severity, first found-in, and  release notes.

The results could be displayed in a feature matrix or spreadsheet.

This discussion thread should be placed at the Network Management section of Cisco Support Forums for better assistance.

You can also try to delete the java cache and browser cache at the PC you are accessing Prime Fulfillment.

Or, access it from a different PC which has never been used for it.

Cheers, Gustavo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: