Views
Helpful
Replies

sham-link and redistribution

jvierke
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

why is it necessary to redistribute bgp to ospf to get sham-links to go up in IOS/XR? With IOS this doesn't seem to be necessary.

Regards,

Joerg

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Joerg,

I have had a discussion about this a little earlier. Please have a look into this thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3428432#3428432

And of course, feel welcome to ask further if it does not answer your questions completely.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

thank you for your answer. As I read your posting it explains the requirement to redistribute ospf to bgp. But my question was about bgp to ospf redistribution. In IOS/XR (at least in 4.1.1) sham-links stay down until bgp to ospf redistribution is configured. Debugging complains about ' Sham-link OSPF_SL1 in area 0 - no BGP route for SL endpoint or BGP not redistributed' unless bgp to ospf redistribution is configured.

I understand the requirement to redistribute ospf to bgp. But surprisingly this is not enforced in IOS/XR. I.e. even without ospf to bgp redistribution sham-links form adjacencies and create blackholes due to missing labels.

Regards, Joerg

Hello Joerg,

Oh, I see. I apologize for the confusion.

I am not sure about this requirement as I do not have access to IOS-XR. Purely technically, it should not be necessary to require that BGP-to-OSPF redistribution must be configured in order to make a sham-link work.

The opposite endpoint of a sham-link is an IP address learned within the same VRF where the sham-link also resides. Because this IP address is actually an IP address of the opposite PE router in the corresponding VRF (a loopback interface assigned to that VRF), the only correct way to learn it is via BGP. This loopback shall not be advertised into the OSPF running over the sham-link (see this document).

However, the Routing Configuration Guide for IOS-XR 4.1 does indicate that the BGP-to-OSPF redistribution is configured as a part of the sham-link configuration procedure. However, that may be a pure sanity check whether it makes sense to establish the sham-link at all: without that redistribution, the routes learned from the other PE router are not forwarded in OSPF to the customer's CE, hence establishing the sham-link itself won't make any difference.

But this is just a guess, and certainly, I see no technical reason why the sham-links should be inoperable without BGP-to-OSPF redistribution.

Anyone else to share his/her knowledge and expertise here?

Best regards,

Peter

While labbing a sham link scenario in GNS3 I noticed the sham link would not come up until I redistributed bgp into ospf.  Debugging gave me no hints either... rather frustrating.

Platform: 3640 (virtualized)

IOS: C3640-JK9S-M 12.4(16)