Views
Helpful
Replies

VPLS Hardware Requiremets Documentation

vialikasielec
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

Could anyone please give me some links to the documentation regarding hardware requirements for running VPLS. I have been searching through cisco.com for two days but failed to find anything significant. Only managed to get some clues that 7600 series routers must use ES20 card for core facing interfaces to provide VPLS. But even this info was gathered from third-party forums, not from official documentation. So any relevant links would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Andrei,

you should need the ES linecards on Cisco 7600 for VPLS and H-VPLS see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps368/data_sheet_c78-49152.html

from other threads is clear that VPLS is not supported on lower platforms like C7200.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for your reply.

Actually i was looking for a document that describes hardware requierements for running VPLS thus mentioning the need for ES20 card and not the document that states that ES20 line card can do VPLS.

Imagine that I am doing some research on what I need to run VPLS. And I have no clue about ES20 or any other suiting cards and their capabilities. And i don't know that platforms lower that 7609 does not support VPLS. how can I get this info from official notes and documentation and not check every platform and every linecard for every of them for VPLS support?

Anyway ES20 description may be useful for me in future, so thanks again for your link