cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will EoMPLS carry STP BPDU's over SP Core?

arun kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a query. With Ethernet over MPLS (either port or vlan mode) connecting two different locations, is it possible to have STP BPDU's carrying over the SP core. Any recent enhancements in the IOS allow it.

Our design requires two datacenters to be connected over EoMPLS and run STP over the SP. I heard in EoMPS, SP will not learn and store any MAC from customers but would eager to know if such options exist now.

We could not do VPLS (which does our requirement) because of hardware limitation.

thanks in advance.

regards,

Arun Kumar

15 Replies 15

Hi,

It seems 7200 routers can also pass STP BPDU's by default (no special configuration done on PE only xconnect configured). The above is the setup that I tried. PE1 is NPEG1 running SRC and PE2 is NPEG2 running 12.4T images. Both the ends I configured VLAN 100 and I could able to find that STP BPDU's are relayed over SP core. The alternate link is put into blocking.

Moreover if one end of the VLAN is changed to other value then STP blocks the PE connecting port in switches due to Peer VLAN ID inconsistency.

thanks

Arun