Views
Helpful
Replies

22063 Wrong password error with EAP-MD5 for IP Phone authentication

Marco__89
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i'm struggling with an authentication related problem. I have an IP Phone (Polycom VX201) that connects to a contact center to download its configuration. Inside this config, there is the 802.1X supplicant credentials (username and password). 

I added this credential in the internal user database in ISE (2.7). Between ISE and Polycom there is a cisco catalyst 3850 switch.

When the Ip Phone tries to authenticate, ISE responds with wrong password.

logradius.PNG

From the contact center i verified that the password is equal withe the respect to the on inserted in ISE. Does someone know where the problem could be?

I also tried to capture the packets. I report below the 2 packets with the MD5 challenges:

1) From Switch to IP Phone

1.PNG

2) From IP Phone to Switch

2.PNG

I thought the problem was that the IP Phone was not receiving the correct password. From the capture of wireshark I therefore wanted to recover the password using the MD5 challenge but I could not. Anyone would know how to do it?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi thomas, thanks for the reply.

After some troubleshooting I found that in the provisioning file there were some misconfigured settinges related to the 802.1X. I was not able to solve this problem due to the fact that these options were not described within the Polycom datasheet. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Any chance there was a mis-typed or copy-and-pasted password that accidentally included a space at the beginning or end of the password?  It happens.

Hi thomas, thanks for the reply.

After some troubleshooting I found that in the provisioning file there were some misconfigured settinges related to the 802.1X. I was not able to solve this problem due to the fact that these options were not described within the Polycom datasheet. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: