cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1x Fails with some 8841 phones and not others.

chuck47172
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Unified CM Administration
System version: 12.5.1.13900-152

Why would 802.1x keep some phones from registering with call manager?
I connect Cisco 8841 telephones to Merakis where 802.1x is enabled on the phone and on the Meraki.
Authentication works great and the phone will register with CUCM as it should.
However, I have other 8841 phones with 802.1x enabled and I can plug it into the Meraki on the same port and the phone will not register unless I disable 802.1x on the meraki.
Why would one phone work and the other fail?
I can factory reset the phone then enable 802.1x and the phone will still fail.

6 Replies 6

It might depend on the dot1x policy, maybe it is not matching the attributes from the phones that aren't working. Could you please share the dot1x policy for review?

I'm not sure where to find that.

However, the phones that fail did work previously at one point.

Where can I find the information you are requesting?

The policies are defined on the RADIUS server that is configured on Meraki which basically the server that Meraki relays the dot1x requests to.

chuck47172
Level 1
Level 1

I don't have access to RADIUS, however our network team does and says there is no issue there. They also opened a TAC case with Meraki who said it's a phone issue and not a Meraki issue so I'm opening a TAC case on the phone. These occurrences are rare but occurring enough that we want to fix the issue.

One thing you might want to try would be to upgrade the phones firmware and see if that helps.

Nancy Saini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It seems dot1x is failing on the problematic IP phone, hence, not getting registered when dot1x is enabled. Check the authentication report for working and non-working IP phone on the RADIUS server.