!
!
aaa session-id common

tacacs-server host 192.168.1.1 timeout 5
tacacs-server host 192.168.1.2 timeout 5
tacacs-server directed-request
tacacs-server key 7 xxxxxxxxxx
!

I applied the above configuration to a Cisco 3850 switch not connected to the network.

Because the switch could not contact the tacacs server I was expecting a prompt to allow me to login  as Fred to using authentication via the local database, however I experienced the following:

When accessing via con 0 using a terminal emulator - the screen looped between the message of the day banner and the "Press Enter to proceed" message.
The Username/Password prompts failed to appear and I was unable to log into the device.

At the same time I received a "Network error: Connection refused" message - again no Username/Password prompts when attempting SSH access.

Reducing the tacacs timeout to 3 seconds did present the Username/Password prompts however access was extremely erratic - with a 60
second delay between prompts being displayed.

This behaviour was the same using both Putty and Hyperterminal.

Also the issue was intermittent ie after a certain period of time I was able to login, however after a further period of time the
problem reappeared.

I initially thought the problem was peculiar to the 3850, however I also saw it on a Cisco 2960.

It appears that there is an issue with failing back to the local database when there is no tacacs server available.

It is conceivable that once the devices are connected to the network, they will be able to connect to tacacs and access to the switches will occur, however I am concerned that if the tacacs servers are unreachable, no one will be able to access the devices with a local account in order to carry out configuration or troubleshooting.

Has anyone come across this issue?

5 Replies 5

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

Have you set a deadtime for the tacacs server ? Otherwise the switch will just try to use it again, straight after it has determined that the tacacs server is down.

Tacacs timeout is as below:

Jatin Katyal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

With 3 seconds timeout and 3 retries, the max delay you should see is 18 seconds - 9 seconds delay per server. Did you try to run 'debug tacacs' and 'debug aaa authentication' to understand why it's taking 60 seconds to prompt you a username / password. Do we have any special config on line con 0 ?

Regards,

Jatin

Do rate helpful posts !

~Jatin

There is no special config on line con 0.

The tacacs server timeout is set to 5 seconds as below:

I was not able to login therefore was not able to turn on debugging.

Hello,

I don't know if that helps, but try adding

aaa authorization config-commands
aaa authorization exec default group TacacsSvrGP1 local
aaa authorization commands 0 default local group TacacsSvrGP1
aaa authorization commands 1 default local group TacacsSvrGP1
aaa authorization commands 15 default local group TacacsSvrGP1

or a variation of this to your config.

I think you are missing authorization options in your config, so the system doesn't know what the user you try to login is allowed to do.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: