Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS 5.1 Error Message Help

Paul Williams
Level 1
Level 1

All

Currently running 4 ACS 5.1 servers to load balance our 802.1x requests, but am getting an error message which is a bit unhelpful in terms of details.

The error message is

11051 RADIUS packet contains invalid state attribute

and only seems to occur on one port port on one particular switch....not quite sure what is causing this for this port as all the other ports on the same switch are not having any issues.

The troubleshooting says

Description
The state attribute in the RADIUS packet did not match any active session.
Resolution Steps
Do the the following: Check the network device or AAA Client for hardware problems or known RADIUS compatibility issues ; Check the network that connects the device to ACS for hardware problems.

The network device is set up the sames as at least 50 other switches in ACS.

The switch port is nominally designated as being for a client PC.

Anyone have any ideas what is causing this error.

19 Replies 19

Calvin Ryver
Level 1
Level 1

I would need to know what switch this is and what version. the concept for the message would be

When initiating an Access-Request with ACS, the NAD should not inculude
any state attributes in its Access-Request.  State attribute it something
that AAA server creates and updates in its response.
There are a few bugs on different devices that may cover this.

The switch is a cisco WS-C3560G-48TS, and the IOS version is version 12.2(52)SE

nicolas.mayor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I got the same issue with

WS-C3750G-24PS in c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-53.SE2

Any hint ?

nicolas.mayor
Level 1
Level 1

I Tried to turn ON PEAP Session Resume :

Select System Administration > Configuration > Global System Options > PEAP Settings.

Will monitor if this solved my issue

I will try the same - between us we might get to the bottom of this.

hi

In my case the AAA client is a Wireless Lan Controller (Cisco).

I ve applied the patch 4 of 5.1.0.44 and activate PAEP session resume..but I still have the error...

thank you

IN

Hi,

I have the same problem with Wireless.

Daniel Schmidt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

anyone solved the problem?

I got the same Message with Cisco Phones and Switches. The Phone use EAP-MD5 for authentication.

I using ACS 5.2

cu

Hi,

I was thinking, maybe somebody found the solution?

In my case it’s happening only on WLC with version 4.2.130.0 (no problem on version 6.0.196.0).

Logging from ACS5.1.0.44.4 :

Failure Reason > Authentication Failure Code Lookup

Failure Reason :

Generated on:December 20, 2010 10:01:55 AM CET

Description

The state attribute in the RADIUS packet did not match any active session.

Resolution Steps

Do the the following: Check the network device or AAA Client for hardware problems or known RADIUS compatibility issues ; Check the network that connects the device to ACS for hardware problems.

Logging from WLC(4.2.130.0)

Mon Dec 20 10:03:58 2010

RADIUS server 161.4.10.5:1812 activated on WLAN 5

RADIUS server 161.4.10.72:1812 deactivated on WLAN 5

RADIUS server 161.4.10.72:1812 failed to respond to request (ID 241) for client 00:1f:3c:d0:98:6f / user 'unknown'

Mon Dec 20 10:03:22 2010

RADIUS server 161.4.10.5:1812 failed to respond to request (ID 223) for client 00:1f:3c:d0:98:6f / user 'unknown'

Is it just cosmetics accounting bug? Because nobody of  our clients complain.

^^^^

We had the same problem on wireless & the same exact behavior you are seeing... we have opened multiple TAC cases trying to get to the bottom of this...

There was a bug in WLC code prior to 6.0.196.0.  Once we updated all WLC's to the same version, the error went away... temporarily......

All fo our WLC's are on v7.0.98.0 now... We needed 7.0.98 b/c we have some 3502 AP's...  To date, this is the only version of 7 code for the WLC's.. i'm beginning to wonder if the bug wasn't fixed in v7.0.98 but was in 6.0.196.0 - 6.0.199.4 but not in v7???

We have a mix of 2106-06, 4402-12 - 50's & 5508-12 - 50's.  Interesting enough.. our WISM blades are not throwing this error...  I can't help but notice the 5508 WLC's send this message way less often... it appears to be the 2100 & 4400's that just hammer the ACS with this error... Also, we had the error several weeks ago, turned off Radius account & rebooted the primary instance & the problem went away.. until today.. Nothing has changed.. so something happens trigger all of the WLC's to cause this message over & over...

As i briefly mentioned, we had Radius accounting turned on... TAC said the WLC was sending a packet the ACS didn't receive fully or know what to do with.. hence the error... I have since confirmed that all sites have Radius accounting turned off.. In reality, Radius accounting for wireless devices provides almost no useful information... Accounting should be reserved for device administration so you can track commands...

I'm subsribing to the thread so if anyone finds a fix... please post a response.. I have opened a new TAC case this morning.. once we figure it out, I will post the answer..

Hi,

Did you find a fix for this issue in the end? Did you try to upgrade the ACS to the latest patch level (5)?

Cheers,

Gary

Not applicable

^^^^

Well... i'm learing this 11051 - invalid state attribute has more than one root cause...

in our particular scenario...  We have a primary & secondary ACS defined in our WLCs...  For some reason, one of the ACS instances stopped authenticating users... The ACS wasn't down, just stopped authenticating users...   Was logging plenty of the 11051 messages but the closer I got to looking at the passed authentications, none were coming from that instance

So the WLC start the EAP conversation with the "failed" ACS . since the ACS didn't respond with the next part of the EAP conversation, the WLC thought that ACS down, (we would see "Radius server x.x.x.x deactived for WLAN x" in the WLC logs)... The WLC would try to continue that same conversation w/ the second ACS but had the old failed ACS info in the packet... hence why the packet was not valid... causing the error...

Bottow line, we had to restart the "failed" instance of ACS (stopping & starting the adclient service didn't resolve the issue)... after the reboot..both instances of ACS started authenticating users & the problem went away...

So to date... for us...

1. You will see 11051 if your WLC is running code older than 6.0.196.0 (bug in the pre 6.0.196.0 WLC code)
  2. You will see 11051 if your WLC starts a EAP conversation with one instance of ACS, doesn't get a response or timely response & sends the next part of the conversation to your second/failover ACS.  Now that i know what i'm looking for, it's easy to spot if the issue returns...

Thanks for the update. Using your post as a checklist;

• i have WLCs of all flavours on 7.0.98.0 code
  • i have primary and secondary ACS entries on the WLC's
  • I am getting the exact errors you are getting

Are you saying that a reboot of both ACS servers will bring back the service? I have been told that upgrading to the latest patch (5) will resolve this issue.

I'll update with how I get on with my issue.

Thanks

Ok, so this is now resolved for me. For some reason the AD accounts for both of the servers were disabled. These are now enabled and the users are authenticating ok.

The fact that the domain was reachable but showing as disconnected should have been the give away I suppose.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: