Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS New WindowsDomain 2008

ricardorojas123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have installed the Cisco ACS 4.2 in a server running Windows 2003 Server, and this server is member server of the domain. The ACS is working whit a Wireless Platform 4400, and authenticating to the Wireless Users using PEAP and Digital Certificate. But now, the windows platform will be upgraded to Windows 2008. My doubt are the following:

1. The ACS running in a windows 2003 server, will authentificate users in the new windows 2008 domain?  I need some patch file ?

2. At the beginning, the ACS and the Windows domain was 2003. Now whit the change of the version of windows domain, What happens whit the configuration of the acs server as member server? I need reconfigure the member server configuration in the ACS Server?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

andamani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

What is the schema of win2k8.

support to Win2k8 is applicable from ACS 4.2.0.124 patch 4 onwards.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_server_for_windows/4.2/release/notes/ACS42_RN.html#wp100949

But, if you are using windows 2k8 R2 then you will have to upgrade to ACS 5.2.

Release notes of ACS 5.2 mention that the following bug is resolved  in ACS 5.2.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/cisco_secure_access_control_system/5.2/release/notes/acs_52_rn.html

CSCtg12399

#

ACS  5.1 did not support 2008 R2 Server for AD.

Hope this  helps.

Regards,

Anisha.

P.S.:  please mark this thread as resolved if you feel your query is resolved.  Do rate helpful posts.

Thanks Anisha,

I attached the two scenario, the first picture show the actual scenario, the wireless client are authentificate whit PEAP, and the ACS is configured whit Windows Database. But, the new platform will be upgraded to windows 2008.

We have been running cisco ACS 4.2 with latest patch on a windows 2003 server with AD authentication towards a Windows 2008 AD enviroment for a long time now with no issues. We also discovered recently that the AD group had upgraded all AD servers to Windows 2008 R2 without our knowledge, but this did not break anything for us. But as far as I have been able to discover Cisco does not support Cisco ACS 4.2 when Windows 2008 R2 is involved...but it seems to work fine as long as the ACS is installed on a Windows server 2003 (others have mentioned the same in other posts).

So we are currently in the process of moving to 5.2, which seems to be a big improvement over 4.x

Manh Tien Bui
Level 1
Level 1

I have topology :

I configured ACS Server authentiaction with Database of Domain Controller 2008 but when i finished config External Database -> In Group Setup (Test) don't show user . What is problem ? .