Views
Helpful
Replies

adclient won't start, troubleshooting

ken.montgomery
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

We have had an active ACS unit for many years now, and we've added a second one, both are 1121 Appliances.  The newer one came with 5.4, so we upgraded the older one to 5.4.

We setup replication between the two, with the newer one primary and the older one secondary.  Problem is, windows based clients are unable to authenticate to the older ACS appliance.  The only problem we can see is that it indicates that adclient is not running, under Monitoring & Troubleshooting, ACS Health Instance Summary.

So... been trying to figure out how to correct this, yet have been hard pressed to find a knowledgebase article that works.  So far, Cisco hasn't added my smartNet on the new box so I can get some support... anyone have any ideas what might be causing it?

(NTP is synchronized)

Thanks in advance, Ken

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is the device registered successfully to the domain?

in Active Directory configuration page, do you see the status of the ACS to AD connectoin as "Connected" or "Not Connected"?

You use same credentials to register both servers to the domain?

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Tarik Admani
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ken,

Do the hostnames of the ACS appilances exceed 15 characters? If so, please make sure that the first 15 are unique.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani
*Please rate helpful posts*

I saw that Knowledgebase article on that too, both names are under 15 characters, and are unique in their names also.  So that shouldn't be a factor, but thank you for the reply.

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is the device registered successfully to the domain?

in Active Directory configuration page, do you see the status of the ACS to AD connectoin as "Connected" or "Not Connected"?

You use same credentials to register both servers to the domain?

I will have to get a domain admin to test with me, there is nothing after Joined to domain nor after Connectivity Status.

Looks like this might be a factor.

Ok, have it joined to the domain now... found an account and am good there, but adclient still doesn't start, going to try a reboot... and it is running on reboot.  Thanks!

Ken,

What version of domain controllers are you at currently and what is the forest functional level?

Please take a look at the Computer group in AD and check to see if the ACS machine account is there. If it is, please delete it and then try to the join process again.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani
*Please rate helpful posts*

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: