Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

After upgrading ACS 3.3.1 to 4.2 on windows the local database is not working

Hi,

I have upgaded the ACS 3.3.1 for windows server to 4.2. Everything went fine but the local database is not working.

The CD is an upgrade kit from 3.x to 4.2 on windows. I tried to install directly the 4.2 I was able to install but integration with AD/LDAp is not working. Anysay its an upgrade kit so I cant expect it shoud work when install drectly the 4.2 but by upgrading from 3.3 to 4.2 everything should work fine.

I followed the upgradation path as recomended.

Also we have a requirment that once it is upgraded to 4.2 we need to shift the whole thing from the physical server to a virtual machine on VMware ESX server 3.5.

Can anybody pls guide me if anything else to do after the upgradation.

Thanks & Regards

Sachi

5 Replies 5

Sachi,

So the external database users can authenticate, but local ACS users cannot?

Set the log level detail to full (System Configuration -> Service Control), restart the services, reproduce the problem, and have a look at the ACS logs, in particular auth.log

Hi Javier,

Actualy non of the authentication is working after upgrading neither local nor external. But if we install the 4.2 directly atleast local database authentication is working fine but not windows database. I am going to see the logs & will let you know.

Thanks & Regards

Sachi

If local authentication is working but external database is not, check the settings for the unknown user policy and make sure that ACS is congiured to query the external database if local authentication fails.

Hi Javier,

First of all I was facing a problem of restoring the old database of 3.3 to 4.2. Somehow I overcame that issue by following the below steps. Now local authentication is working fine but AD/other External database authentication is not working. As you told the setting for the unknown users are configured to fetch the credentials from the external database if it is not in the local database.

Do we need to do anything in the AD itself?

Regards

Sachi

Steps for ACS upgrade to 4.2 version

Below are the requested steps mentioned for the up gradation from ACS 3.3.2 to ACS 4.2.

1)     Take a configuration backup from existing ACS. ACS--->System
configuration----> ACS Backup

2)    now if you have  ACS 3.3.2 on server. take backup of the ACS

3)   Insert the cd or if you have the set up on the system then  Run the setup of ACS 3.3.4. During the process it will prompt you to
upgrade existing configuration. Make sure you check that option else we will
loose the database. Now you need to hit next.next to finish the 3.3.4 upgrade.

4)     Once you are at 3.3.4, take a backup and keep it handy.

5)     Run the setup of 4.1.1. During this process it will prompt you to
loose the database. Now you need to hit next.next to finish the 4.1 upgrade.

6)Once you are at 4.1.1.24 take a backup and keep it handy.

7)     Run the setup of 4.2. During this process it will prompt you to
loose the database. Now you need to hit next.next to finish the 4.2 upgrade.

8)     Once you are at 4.2 take a backup and keep it handy. Now run the
patch 12 and take a backup again.

9)     Now fresh install 4.2 on your new production server and install patch
12. Restore the 4.2 patch 12 backup and you should be all set.

What is reported as the failure reason in the failed attempts report, for Windows AD users?