Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect NAM questions

Greetings,

Just a couple questions to see if there is any fix, or just to live with it.

1) AnyConnect NAM increases system boot time by 20+ seconds. I do not use the VPN and use it for EAP-Chaining for ISE. It works, but wonder if there is a fix for the extra boot time.

2) AnyConnect NAM takes over the wireless. This isn't an issue, but if they try to connect using the Windows wireless, it fails. Is there a way to get AnyConnect to take the Windows inputs, or hide the Windows wireless. Basically trying to reduce calls due to people trying the Windows wireless instead of AnyConnect to join a network.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

stsargen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Question 1:

NAM will add a slight delay to the Windows boot/logon times.  Drivers loading, Credential Providers being loaded etc.  I would suggest testing on a clean PC without other 3rd party software and see if you still see the same issue.

Question 2: AnyConnect NAM has a service dependency on WLANAutoConfig service, so disabling it would also disable NAM functionality.  I think the tray icon can be hidden via GPO, or direct registry modification as shown in the other users link.

Notification Area Icons - Hide or Show System Icons and Notifications - Windows 7 Help Forums

I think it can also be done via the registry, but I have not tested.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

REG_DWORD keyname = HideSCANetwork

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I've not seen AnyConnect adding that much time to boot up Windows but it's probably depending on the hardware.

And, your 2nd one is also the first I've seen. You might try disabling "WLAN AutoConfig" (wlansvc) service.

WLAN autoconfig seems to be a dependency of NAM, so can't disable it without also disabling AnyConnect.

csco11552159
Level 5
Level 5

i have same question"2".

users are confused when they have 2 options to connect.

anyone got some better way to do that ?

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sorry, it's really no go by disabling WLAN autoconfig even on the specific interface with netsh.

Our AC ESC suggested this --> Permanently hide the wireless network icon from the Windows 7 taskbar

There seems possible to do with registry hacks, as discussed @ Where are the System Tray Customizations stored? which leads to Forcing notification area Icons to always show in Windows 7 or Windows 8 - 4sysops

stsargen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Question 1:

NAM will add a slight delay to the Windows boot/logon times.  Drivers loading, Credential Providers being loaded etc.  I would suggest testing on a clean PC without other 3rd party software and see if you still see the same issue.

Question 2: AnyConnect NAM has a service dependency on WLANAutoConfig service, so disabling it would also disable NAM functionality.  I think the tray icon can be hidden via GPO, or direct registry modification as shown in the other users link.

Notification Area Icons - Hide or Show System Icons and Notifications - Windows 7 Help Forums

I think it can also be done via the registry, but I have not tested.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

REG_DWORD keyname = HideSCANetwork

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: