cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way or correct way to reload 2 ise nodes (pan/mnt)

ade5
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone

I need to reload two ise nodes due to a bug that caused licensing consumption page to show zero. ise1 primary(pan/mnt)  and ise2 Secondary(pan/mnt). I have 4 psn nodes and they should stay up. I need to ensure no downtime. I know I have to do both config and operational backup first. 

option1

send reload command to secondary node first and wait for it to come back up then reload primary 

option2

promote secondary to primary then reload ise1 and when ise1 comes back up switch ise2 back to secondary

please let me know if those options are valid and which is best or if there are other options. Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Just reload them as in option 1. If you do option 2 you have double the reloads, when you promote a node to primary it reloads again.

If you read this section of the admin guide you can see what services will be unavailable while the Primary PAN reloads. Reloading the PAN is a common task, no need to over think it.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/admin_guide/b_ise_admin_guide_24/b_ise_admin_guide_24_new_chapter_011.html#ID59

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

mnagired
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Dont see much difference between Option 1 or 2.. with Option 2 you can get back to same state(ISE1- Primary and ISE2- Secondary)..

Yes, Make sure you perform a configuration and operational backup and use application stop ise & Halt CLI to Shutdown ISE instances and reduce any database corruption..

Regards

Mahesh 

"Yes, Make sure you perform a configuration and operational backup and use application stop ise & Halt CLI to Shutdown ISE instances and reduce any database corruption"

thank you. Are you saying its better to shut it down rather than sending the command "reload"?

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Just reload them as in option 1. If you do option 2 you have double the reloads, when you promote a node to primary it reloads again.

If you read this section of the admin guide you can see what services will be unavailable while the Primary PAN reloads. Reloading the PAN is a common task, no need to over think it.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/admin_guide/b_ise_admin_guide_24/b_ise_admin_guide_24_new_chapter_011.html#ID59

thank you Damien. 

This is exactly what I was looking for. 

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: