Views
Helpful
Replies

Bulk modification of Identity information Cisco ISE

GabsC2
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

I'm trying to do a bulk modification of users data in a Cisco ISE. We're migrating from an ACS to and ISE and I've migrated all the TACACS users from one to another. All the users are disabled because of the password policies and have the passwords outdated because the backup is from a couple of months back so I need to activate all the users, change the passwords of all the users to a generic password and activate the option to ask to change the password in the next login. The issue is that we have more than 500 users and do this manually is very time consuming. I've exported the user identity data from the Identities, opened in excel, changed text to columns, change all the data I needed and when I try to import the information it doesn't accept it. I need your help to see if there's a way I can change the data in excel and import it to the ISE once I change text to columns because I see that the ISE is waiting for the data to be comma separated and after I change it it doesn't accept it

19 Replies 19

We can only use a comma-delimited text file to import the user identity. You can also you template and copy paste information if possible and import the file. These are the only options I can see to bulk import the user data on ISE.

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Export and import of ISE internal users via CSV is very straightforward.

I do not understand why you "changed text to columns". CSV is a column format so there should be no conversions. Just update your data.  You say

I need to change the format from comma delimited to columns. After I do that I change all the information I need but the device doesn't accept the users mod format. Excel doesn't have an easy way to return the information to comma delimited so my question is if there's a way the ISE could accept the data formatted as users mod

I don't understand what you are doing here but this is clearly the problem!  There have been 15 replies over more than 1 week and it works for everyone else so you must be doing something that you are not telling us. Tell us the exact change(s). See How to Ask The Community for Help .  You must show us the exact error from Excel. Do not tell us "it doesn't accept it". That is not a real error that can pinpoint the problem.  

In my experience, you must save the CSV file in Excel as Comma Separated Values (.csv) :

thomas_0-1683478461741.png

Good day,

Dear @thomas , I'll explain the step by step I'm using for the procedure.

1 - Enter the ISE and export the user data

setp 1.jpg

2 - I get the CSV uploaded called users export

3 - I open the CSV and get this format

Step 2 1.jpg

As you can see the file is CSV

Step 2 2.jpg

4- Since I need to change data in bulk I need to change the format of the file so I can read it in columns. I do it in the following steps

step 3.jpg

step 3 1.jpg

step 3 2.jpg

After that I get a format in excel that I can easily work with

step 3 3.jpg

The after I do the changes I need I try to upload it to the ISE and receive the error I showed before. The only way I could solve the issue is using some formulas and some manual change in the excel document so I can return the data to the format it was in the image showed in step 3

I hope this helps to show what I do in order to export and import the data. Please let me know if I'm doing this incorrectly and what I can do to solve my issue. Thank you in advance

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thank you, very helpful!

I do not know why you are going through the Convert Text to Columns Wizard... Excel opens it perfectly for me when I open your file:

image.png

image.png

When you do the Convert Text to Columns Wizard, I see you are choosing both Commas and Tabs. There should only be Commas. Perhaps the Tabs option is adding an extra column or something which is why you get the 'Invalid number of fields' error???

Your `users export.csv` file has 2 additional columns added at the end:

Gerencia_Compa_ia sandvine

When I try to import it, it complains that I do not have these defined as Custom Attributes. You will need to delete those columns if you do not have those as Custom Attributes.

image.png

Thanks for the input @thomas 

I don't know why Excel opens the CSV file as showed, that's why I have to convert it. Let me try the 2 suggestions you made to see if it works