Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACS 5.6 for Accounting Only

bm_5789
Level 1
Level 1

Here is my situation:

Users will connect using AnyConnect to a Cisco 5525.  The 5525 will send the AD credentials to a NPS server for authorization.  The NPS server(windows 2008 server) will accept/reject credentials.  If accepted, the user will start a session and disconnect when finished.  So there is a start and stop for that session.

Currently, I do not have any device receiving the Radius Accounting information.  So I was asked to configure my Cisco ACS 5.6 to be the Accounting server.

Is it possible to have the acs 5.6 function solely as the accounting server?  If it can, some configuration help would be nice.  TIA

7 Replies 7

Gagandeep Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes, you can configure ACS for tacacs and radius accounting both.

This command enables the TACACS+ protocol and use the name TACACS+ as the AAA server group.

ciscoasa (config)# aaa-server TACACS+ protocol tacacs+

This command specifies the TACACS+ server’s IP address. If you notice there’s a (inside) keyword in the command. This basically tells the ASA which interface to send the TACACS+ traffic. If the TACACS+ server is actually in the outside interface, then you just change it to outside.

aaa-server TACACS+ (inside) host 192.168.100.200 tacacs-key

See more at: http://networkjutsu.com/enabling-aaa-on-cisco-asa/#sthash.ltMKrj5f.dpuf

Note : same can be configure for RADIUS protocol.

Hope it helps!!!!

Regards

Gagan

Didn't really answer the question, but thanks anyways.

Jatin Katyal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

oh yes, this is very much possible. All you need to have your ACS 5.6 defined inside the tunnel-group configuration as an accounting server. This would let you send the authentication request to NPS server and accounting start/stop to ACS server.

tunnel-group TEST type remote-access
tunnel-group TEST general-attributes
 address-pool ISE
 authentication-server-group NPS_AUTH
 accounting-server-group ACS-ACCT

If in case you'd like to verify the same from the debugs - enable "debug aaa common 255" & initiate the VPN connection. Look for the snippet I've pasted below for validation and then check the same on NPS under event viewer ( for authentication) and ACS 5.6 ( Mnt > Reports > acs reports > radius accounting > run).

Initiating authentication to primary server (Svr Grp: NPS_AUTH)
------------------------------------------------
AAA FSM: In AAA_BindServer
AAA_BindServer: Using server: 1.1.1.1

Initiating accounting transaction (Svr Grp: ACS-ACCT)
------------------------------------------------
AAA FSM: In AAA_BindServer
AAA_BindServer: Using server: 2.2.2.2

Cheers

Jatin

~Jatin

Thank you for your response.  My problem is configuring the ACS.  It is quite different than the ACS 4.2.

No configuration required on ACS if you JUST need to see radius start/stop accounting.

~ Jatin

~Jatin

Ok, I will try your recommendations.  Thanks for your help.

sure - keep this thread updated.

~ Jatin

~Jatin