Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE Evaluation 2.7 Upgrade to 3.1

sreng
Level 1
Level 1

Hello team,

Have anyone of you experienced with upgrade the ISE Evaluation 2.7 to 3.1 ?

I somehow facing a problem in the "Prepare to Upgrade" stage as the "Platform Support Check" states that it needs at least 12 CPU for the upgrade.

I check on the evaluation of ISE 3.1, the CPU required is exactly the same as the evaluation of 2.7.

In order for me to test the upgrade on the evaluation, do I really need to set the CPU to the requirement of the real 3.1 hardware specification?

Note: I use the upgrade bundle downloaded from Cisco website for this upgrade (ise-upgradebundle-2.6.x-3.0.x-to-3.1.0.518b.SPA.x86_64.tar.gz).

Thanks,

Sreng

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sreng
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks everyone for your insight on this.
I have figured out the solution by increasing the CPU to 12 and rebooting the nodes.
After that, the checklist before the upgrade does not complain about this issue anymore.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

since upgrade is need to match with licensed specification, you need to match that. or you can do clean install of 3.1 since this is evaluation. 

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Hi Kasun, thanks for the insight on this. However, I am doing this upgrade to see the upgrade process as well as evaluating the configuration I have on the 2.7 when upgraded on 3.1 (I restored the back up from my Produciton 2.7).
This is a pre-upgrade test before I could do it on my production 2.7 .

Do you have any suggestion on that? I would really appreciate that.

You could reach out to your account team to ask for some temporary term based licenses for 3.1

My guess is the upgrade does not check for evaluation and is expecting a small server at minimum. You can try to set up a small 2.7 VM and upgrade.

Personally, we always reformat and restore backup to upgrade.

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ISE Evaluations are good for 90 days upon install - See https://cs.co/ise-licensing

Why both upgrading and keep the same used-up licenses?

Install a new ISE 3.1 and restore the ISE 2.7 configuration on it ... 90 more days of evaluation with ISE 3.1!

The hardware requirement per release is what it is: 

ISE 3.1 OVA file - 300GB disk for Eval, Small, Medium (Recommend for Evaluation, PSN or PxGrid) compatible with ESXi 6.7 or later.
ISE-3.1.0.518b-virtual-SNS3615-SNS3655-300.ova

sreng
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks everyone for your insight on this.
I have figured out the solution by increasing the CPU to 12 and rebooting the nodes.
After that, the checklist before the upgrade does not complain about this issue anymore.