cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE pxGrid Issue - It gets disabled on the Secodnary ISE Node !!

Beacon Bits
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Environment: I have two ISE nodes running as Cluster.

Trying to achieve: I need to run pxGrid. So it needs to enable on both boxes manually. Correct!

Issue: When I select the pxGrid checkbox then it does not run the pxGrid services on both boxes. but just on one box. On GUI, pxGrid option is Checked on both ISE nodes. But in CLI I can see clearly it is not running on both. 

Primary ISE Node:

pxGrid Infrastructure Service              running
pxGrid Publisher Subscriber Service  running
pxGrid Connection Manager              running
pxGrid Controller                                running

Secondary ISE Node:

pxGrid Infrastructure Service             disabled
pxGrid Publisher Subscriber Service  disabled
pxGrid Connection Manager              disabled
pxGrid Controller                               disabled

I have ran the pxGrid service manually but it still disables.

Is there any other settings that I'm missing?

Regards,

B

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

This could use some clarification from a TME because I don't consider myself the ultimate source on pxGrid info.

From a pxGrid v1 perspective, 100% active/standby, and the services will be down on the secondary node. But the 2.4 admin guide does indicate that port 8910, which is leveraged by webclients, will be active. Port 8910 with websockets is the way that pxgrid v2 operates, while port 5222 was the XMPP port pxgrid v1 used. The guide indicates that 5222 will only be open on the active node.

I just tested this in my lab by firing up pxgrid services on 3 nodes, there are active web client connections on all three servers concurrently.

This would also help clarify why the ISE performance and scale guide indicates 800 max subscribers for a dedicated deployment, while the per node pxGrid v2 scale is between 200-250 depending on the VM template deployed.

View solution in original post

jeppich
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

For pxGrid 1.0, you can only have 2 pxGrid nodes per ISE deployment, where only one pxGrid node can be active at a time and the other node will be in standby.

If you have any additional questions, please email me directly.

Thanks,

John

jeppich@cisco.com

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi,

That is by design, pxGrid runs in Active/Standby - therefore the services on the Secondary node will be disabled until it becomes Active.

Cisco reference doc here. Quote from that doc "pxGrid nodes work in Active/Standby high availability mode which means that the pxGrid Service is in "running" state on the active node and in "disabled" state on the standby node."

HTH

This could use some clarification from a TME because I don't consider myself the ultimate source on pxGrid info.

From a pxGrid v1 perspective, 100% active/standby, and the services will be down on the secondary node. But the 2.4 admin guide does indicate that port 8910, which is leveraged by webclients, will be active. Port 8910 with websockets is the way that pxgrid v2 operates, while port 5222 was the XMPP port pxgrid v1 used. The guide indicates that 5222 will only be open on the active node.

I just tested this in my lab by firing up pxgrid services on 3 nodes, there are active web client connections on all three servers concurrently.

This would also help clarify why the ISE performance and scale guide indicates 800 max subscribers for a dedicated deployment, while the per node pxGrid v2 scale is between 200-250 depending on the VM template deployed.

jeppich
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

For pxGrid 1.0, you can only have 2 pxGrid nodes per ISE deployment, where only one pxGrid node can be active at a time and the other node will be in standby.

If you have any additional questions, please email me directly.

Thanks,

John

jeppich@cisco.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: