Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE Virtual Appliance HyperV Support

canero
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

ISE Virtual Appliance Supports VMWare ESXi as Hypervisor. Is there any Plan on the roadmap that ISE will be supported on HyperV (or possibly XEN) in the future, because some customers don't have VMWare but using only HyperV.

The same question may be for other Virtual Appliances as well such as vWAAS, vASA etc.

Best Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a question that gets brought up to the Business Unit from time to time.  As of now, there are no plans on Official Cisco Support on any virtual platform other than VMWare's ESXi.

There have been successful implementations on HyperV, but if you run into issues, the first thing that will be noted is that you are running on an unsupported platform.

Please Rate Helpful posts and mark this question as answered if, in fact, this does answer your question.  Otherwise, feel free to post follow-up questions.

Charles Moreton

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a question that gets brought up to the Business Unit from time to time.  As of now, there are no plans on Official Cisco Support on any virtual platform other than VMWare's ESXi.

There have been successful implementations on HyperV, but if you run into issues, the first thing that will be noted is that you are running on an unsupported platform.

Please Rate Helpful posts and mark this question as answered if, in fact, this does answer your question.  Otherwise, feel free to post follow-up questions.

Charles Moreton

Hi Charles,

Thank you for the rapid answer. Due to HyperV increasing marketshare the demand on these deployments may increase. As for the branch and central deployment design using a physical appliance may be more feasible choice wrt managing and operating different hypervisors and difficulty of sharing resources in multiple hypervisor environments.

The tradeoff though is to increased cost to provide a seperate appliance for ISE, WaaS, WLC. For VMWare Sites UCS-E may be very good choice indeed.

Best Regards,

Agreed.  I also know that the Business Unit is gauging the interest in the HyperV implementation and when it makes sense to fully support it, they will.  However, the percentage of customers that are dead-locked in to the HyperV solution at this time remains very low.

UCS-E could be a good solution, if the infrastructure is in place.

Hi Charles,

Just adding my voice to the chorus - my team are working on a Azure project where the only hypervisor will be Hyper-V

Are there any updates to this request?

Hi Charles,

Any idea where I can find some documentation on how this has been done ?

I tried to find documentation about those successful implementations but didn't find any and I had no success booting a vm ISE on hyper-V.

Thanks.

David

David,

There is currently no documentation on this process.  This is not a supported installation/upgrade/migration path so, therefore, any documentation would be third party, prepared by the partner or end user that has done this.

If you're starting from a VM, you have the wrong approach.  You'll want to install from .iso for best results.

Charles Moreton

hmcandrew
Level 1
Level 1

Great News !  Many of you probably know this BUT I just found out so I thought I'd share it...

Hyper-V support is NOW AVAILABLE !  check it out :

Official support is Hyper-V 2012 R2 and later.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-3/release_notes/ise23_rn.html#pgfId-627714

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: