Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Smart Licensing Advantage License question

I am running ISE 3.2 patch-4 and I only have Essential license enabled.  Both Advantage and Premier License are disabled.

However, there are some naughty devices on my network that are eating up Advantage licenses and I can see them in the Licensing page and flags them as "Out of Compliance".  I am afraid that my GUI access will be locked out after 60 days.  

However, Cisco TAC is telling me not to worry because as long at "Advantage" License is disabled, it will NOT trigger the GUI to lock out and that I can still use "Advantage" License even though it is disabled.  

Is that true?  Can anyone confirm this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
7 Replies 7

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's true.  You'll lose access to Advantage features within the GUI, but that's it.

@Charlie Moreton:  Thank you very much.  I do have a follow up.  If I enable the "Advantage license" feature, I will lose GUI access 45 days after the "Out of Compliance" message, right?

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, same as above

@Charlie Moreton:  How do you explain this:  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/3-0/admin_guide/b_ISE_admin_3_0/m_Licensing30.html

It stated that:  Notifications about noncompliant license consumption are also displayed in Cisco ISE. If your license consumption is out of compliance for 45 days in a 60-day period, you will lose all administrative control of Cisco ISE until you purchase and activate the required licenses.

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have Essentials licenses.  You can use them.  If your Essentials licenses are OOC for that period, then you lose Admin GUI access

Thank you @Charlie Moreton.  Let me see if I understand, I have the followings:

Essential License:  enable

Advantage:  disable

Premier:  disable

What you're saying is that I can have OOC in Advantage and Premier FOR AS LONG AS I WANT WITHOUT LOSING GUI ACCESS AS LONG AS Advantage and/or Premier License is in disable state.  

Is that correct?

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes