cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Could we migrate ISE on VMware virtual machine to new host by V2V ?

Hi !
I would like to migrate ISE on VMware virtual machine to new VMware host. CISCO japan support said that we can not support V2V by VMware v-center convertor. Also they said that CISCO support only cold migrate by VMware V-motion. However they did not provide any procedure to it. Is there any document about migrate ISE on VMware ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

VMware cold V-Motion is supported and should present no issues.  From ISE 3.1 and newer, VMware Hot V-Motion is supported.  Both methods allow movement of CPU, Memory, and storage (datastore vmdk).  You must have the V-Motion adapters enabled and configured.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

@balaji.bandi 

Thank you for your support !
Also I have a question that could we migrate from another VMware host ? In other word, two VMware host can not access to same data store. I may think that allow on the same physical host as blede server. Because blede server use only one VMware Hypervisor.  Mike just said shuld shutdown before migration.  I would like to know that how to ISE migrate to beyond VMware Hypervisor and data store.

other than Lab, i do not use VMWARE environment for ISE, since ISE not get optimal results as expected, when you using VM that is my views compare to dedicate appliance.

technically that should work as expected. you need to try, every user requirement is different, that is your requirement, you need to test it.

i do not see any issue, since you are moving VM to new environment. as you mentioned both should not be online thats all.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

PS     I has two issues for it.  

1, Find how to migrate ISE between beyond VMware data store.

2, Can CISCO support after migrate ISE by any V2V ?
     CISCO japan said that we can not support V2V. In other hand , they said that may we can use VMware v-motion (It may be VMware storage v-motion) 

We can test V2V any method. I think It will succeed to migrate by shutdown before migrate. However I think do not make sense when CISCO not able to provide ISE support. ex) I think succeed to migrate ISE by VMware OVF or OVA export import between beyond VMware data store. 

VMware cold V-Motion is supported and should present no issues.  From ISE 3.1 and newer, VMware Hot V-Motion is supported.  Both methods allow movement of CPU, Memory, and storage (datastore vmdk).  You must have the V-Motion adapters enabled and configured.

Thank you for your support.
ISE Version : 2.6.0.156.

Please more help as following if you can do that.

>VMware cold V-Motion is supported and should present no issues.
Is there any document that describe it ?

>You must have the V-Motion adapters enabled and configured.
Is there any procedure document made by CISCO ?

Both of your questions are answered in VMware documentation.

Ok! Thank you !!

I think that any procedure document in VMware.

Is there any document that CISCO support to migrate ISE by cold VMware vMotion ?
I think that will CISCO support cold VMware vMotion. However, I think may CISCO not able to provide tecknical support after migrate ISE by cold VMware vMotion