Views
Helpful
Replies

Create trusty relationship between 2 different Cisc ISE deployments

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Hi experts,

I'm new into ISE and we are going to deploy a worlwide solution for TACACS+ and authZ (ISE#2), but we already have a regional deployment in the US with 4 PSNs (ISE#1).

Due to some delay issues in some countries, I'm, thinking on deploying PSNs in some strategic countries so to create ISE#2 deployment by using 6 PSNs. Question is, is there some way ISE#1 forward requests to ISE#2 and reverse?

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ISE has the ability to do RADIUS Proxy and TACACS+ Proxy to other servers - even if it is another ISE deployment.  But I highly encourage you to stick with a single worldwide ISE deployment to simplify your administrative life unless your network scale requires more ISE capacity (does not sound like it) or your organization is siloed for reasons above Layer 7.

thomas_1-1709218199117.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Pulkit Mittal
Spotlight
Spotlight

You can have a load balancer in front but make sure that auth and accounting for the same session are going to the same PSN.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Separate ISE deployments do not communicate with each other (except in some very rare corner cases that would not apply to the situation you mention).

I have a customer with a single ISE deployment spanning US, Asia (India and Indonesia), Africa and Europe - it works fine.

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ISE has the ability to do RADIUS Proxy and TACACS+ Proxy to other servers - even if it is another ISE deployment.  But I highly encourage you to stick with a single worldwide ISE deployment to simplify your administrative life unless your network scale requires more ISE capacity (does not sound like it) or your organization is siloed for reasons above Layer 7.

thomas_1-1709218199117.png

The proxy option mentioned by @thomas was the corner case I was thinking of. Not generally recommended for your use case.

A single deployment is highly preferable and recommended by 99/100 ISE experts. The 1 who does not recommend it is probably being paid by the hour to setup separate deployments.

I am not paid by hour and honestly thinking about building parallel ISE deployment for redundancy. The reason for that are bugs present in the ISE itself. It is not normal that after uploading the anyconnect compliance image to ise the whole deployment is stuck for almost an hour. So my question is how to sync the MAC addresses with API

EDIT

how about using ansible to do automatic configuration restore e.g. every night and do the AD join after it is done. It should work, right?

thank you