cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Decrypt backup file using GPG keychain

nagouvei
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How to decrypt an ACS backup file (.gpg.tar) using GPG keychain software? I tried decrypting the ISE backup file and it was successful, however decrypting ACS back up failed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It just occurred to me that ACS doesn't allow you to specify an encryption key.  Therefore you won't stand a chance to decode this file.  Only the ACS config restore function will be able to decrypt it.

ISE is a bit friendlier in that respect because we are forced to chose an encryption key which we then use going forward.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Have you tried this command on a Linux command line?

gpg -v --batch --yes --passphrase myEncryptionKey -d somefile.tar.gpg > somefile.tar

You need to know the key which was used to encrypt the file - myEncryptionKey

Input filename - somefile.tar.gpg

Output filename - somefile.tar

Hi Arne,

I tried the command you provided, but it did not work for ACS however it worked for ISE backup.

It just occurred to me that ACS doesn't allow you to specify an encryption key.  Therefore you won't stand a chance to decode this file.  Only the ACS config restore function will be able to decrypt it.

ISE is a bit friendlier in that respect because we are forced to chose an encryption key which we then use going forward.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: