Views
Helpful
Replies

Does ISE 3.1 support SMS Token Authen?

John.lc
Level 1
Level 1

HI Experts,

We want to use ISE3.1 to provide Portal page for Wi-Fi popup.
Requirement: When the client is connected to the SSID, when the user enters the phone number on the Portal page, receives the SMS, and then enters the SMS verification code (Token) to pass the authentication.
We haven't found relevant instructions on how to configure it. I don't know if ISE3.1 supports this function. Does anyone know? Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Yep - and ISE contains a few example 3rd party service providers under Administration > System > SMS Gateway

You can look if one of these works for you, or else search the web for a provider in your country that suits your needs. Usually, once you have signed up with the 3rd party SMS provider, they will provide you with a HTTP/Email syntax to interact with their platform.

I did this years ago, and I was not a DevOps guy back then, and I spent a little while trying to figure out how to paste the HTML stuff into ISE. I think ISE was not very clear about what was expected. But a bit of experimentation resulted in success.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

No - ISE does support notifying users via SMS, but that SMS message is sent after self-registration, and includes username and password to log into the Guest Portal. I guess it's almost identical to what you're looking for, except that it's username+password instead of a single token.

Thanks for your response.

We just configure self-registration now, so we plan to change another authen mode. And one more question, whether we need intergrate 3-party authen platform to achieve this ?

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Yep - and ISE contains a few example 3rd party service providers under Administration > System > SMS Gateway

You can look if one of these works for you, or else search the web for a provider in your country that suits your needs. Usually, once you have signed up with the 3rd party SMS provider, they will provide you with a HTTP/Email syntax to interact with their platform.

I did this years ago, and I was not a DevOps guy back then, and I spent a little while trying to figure out how to paste the HTML stuff into ISE. I think ISE was not very clear about what was expected. But a bit of experimentation resulted in success.

Got it, thanks for your help