Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EAP and iPhone

Hi,

I have a BYOD setup that is working well except one thing that is enoying, I cant get iOS device's to trust the ISE server certificate.

Tested on 2 iPads and 2 iPhones.

When runing Wireshark from a Mac I can see the certificate chain in the TLS packet coming from ISE and my Mac is accepting this with out problem, same for a Win 8 test machine.

In this document under The Trust Chain, Apple writes:

'The first time the user joins a device to an 802.1X-protected network, the device will prompt the user to trust the server’s certificate'

Could it be that iOS devices ignore the cert. chain in a EAP packet?

Peap.png

5 Replies 5

Robert Salazar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

May be running into this

CSCua97013

ISE-Apple iOS devices are asked to accept the "Not Verified" Certificate

Symptom:
During self provisioning of iDevices, the user is asked to accept a "Not Verified" certificate from ISE.

Conditions:
Certificate is signed by a well-known CA.

Workaround:
None

Looking to have this fixed by 1.2

Yes, might be this bug. A bit hard to verify without an ISE v1.2.

For reference, if I use the dual SSID setup and have the iPhone do provisioning via Guest Flow and the portal page the certificate is trusted. Same certificate for HTTPS and EAP. 

Amjad: Yes Verisign root is (should be) on iOS devices. List of iOS root certificates: iOS 5/6  iOS4.x

Regards

The trusted CAs only come into effect when navigating to web portals. Because the user is actually initiated a browser session to a secure site where the url is entered.

With eap authentication this behavior is different. When a user sends their credentials the supplicant on the iphone automatically prompts the client to validate the radius server identity. It will also show you that the identity is trusted, but it will still prompt the user by informing them that their credentials are being forwarded to a specific radius server.

You can also verify this by using a windows machine, if you set the supplicant to "validate the server certificate" but leave the certificate entries unchecked, you will still be prompted to validate the radius server's identity.

Thanks,
Tarik Admani

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Tarik Admani
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I have found this to be common when authenticating to any dot1x network for the first time, and then again if you "forget the network". The apple devices and even some windows devices will almost always ask you to "validate the server certificate". The reason this is the case is that the user isnt browsing to the radius server, instead the wireless controller is performing the eap conversation and it's up to the client to know if they trust the radius server as the server on their network.

With windows in an enterprise the solution is easy, just write a group policy so that the server settings are built.

For BYOD deployments it is best to send all BYOD users an email walking them through the provisioning steps since this common for all peap handshakes.

Thanks,

Tarik Admani

Tarik: quick question.

Shouldn't those iOS devices have a list of trusted CAs? If Versign root CA cert is by default on the iOS device (since the server cert issuer is verisign as appear in the wireshark snapshot) then the iOS device should not complain.

If the cert verification message although the device has the CA root cert already then the bug Robert mentioned above makes more since to be the root cause of this issue.

Regards,

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: