cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Expired Root CA but DOT1x is still working?

LanDownUnda
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All!

I wanted to swing this question past the wider audience. I recently came across an ISE deployment (v2.6) whereby the certificate used for EAP authentication is valid however the top two certificates in the certificates chain are expired.

Clients are still accepting the certificate without any problems and are authenticating successfully on the network.

Can anyone explain to me why having expired certificates in the chain does not result in clients rejecting the ISE certificate? I'm assuming its something possibly on the Supplicant side but I'm never claimed to be a Windows expert

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. The supplicants have the expired certificates installed in the Trust Store.

*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Clients are still accepting the certificate without any problems and are authenticating successfully on the network.

Can anyone explain to me why having expired certificates in the chain does not result in clients rejecting the ISE certificate? I'm assuming its something possibly on the Supplicant side but I'm never claimed to be a Windows expert

-So I am assuming you are using the native supplicant and not NAM.  Anyways, this could very well be a native supplicant configuration issue.  I would start with verifying if the following is set:

Verify the server's identity by validating the certificate: Specifies that the client verifies that server certificates presented to the client computer have the correct signatures, have not expired, and were issued by a trusted root certification authority (CA).

Note that by default this is enabled.  I would still double check.

View solution in original post

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is 100% an endpoint supplicant configuration issue.

There are options to ignore the authentication server certificate.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

-So I am assuming you are using the native supplicant and not NAM.  Anyways, this could very well be a native supplicant configuration issue.  I would start with verifying if the following is set:

Verify the server's identity by validating the certificate: Specifies that the client verifies that server certificates presented to the client computer have the correct signatures, have not expired, and were issued by a trusted root certification authority (CA).

Note that by default this is enabled.  I would still double check.

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is 100% an endpoint supplicant configuration issue.

There are options to ignore the authentication server certificate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: