Views
Helpful
Replies

Importing Cisco Community Profiles into ISE 3.1 Patch 5

rezaalikhani
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all;

According ISE Profiling Design Guide, one of the methods of updating Profile Policies is through importing Cisco Community Profiles at https://github.com/network-node/ise-profiles.

But when I want to import them, the following error message appears:

rezaalikhani_0-1678289940191.png

Any ideas?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Which profile are you importing?  How are you importing it?  How are you downloading it from the Github Repository?

I've just tried with three of the profiles in the repository

• Amazon-TV
  • OnePlus-7
  • TEAC-Device

When I right-click and 'Save link as...', the html for the repository page is also added to the .xml file.  There are two ways to download these files, one is to use the `git` command from your terminal application on MacOS or Linux.  The other is to open the file in the GitHub GUI and click the `Copy raw contents` button to copy the data in the .xml file to your clipboard.  From there, paste the contents into your favorite text editor and save it.  

CharlieMoreton_0-1678369269277.png

Now you're ready to import.

There is nothing wrong with the guide as far as this is concerned.  Verify the contents of the downloaded file with the contents shown in the repository.

Happy profiling!

View solution in original post

Thanks;

After following your procedure, the import is now successful... 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Greg Gibbs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As stated on that GitHub page:
"this is not an official Cisco Github. This is not endorsed or supported officially by Cisco in any way and if you choose to use these profiles, please test them first before putting them in production. I try my best to provide quality work but sometimes products, software, etc changes and the profiles might need adjusting."

Those XML files have not been updated in 4 years, so it could be that either something in the Profile is no longer supported in ISE 3.1 or something was wrong in the XML when it was uploaded.

If you are seeing that issue with a specific XML file, I would suggest submitting an Issue on the GitHub page with the details of your issue to see if the creator can look into it.

Who currently maintains updates to the ISE Profiles and MAC OUI's? Is Cisco still actively maintaining this?  Is the ise.cisco.com/partner used as input into this process?

AFAIK, the answer to both questions is yes.

I can see the following on the Offline Update Package page at the link you shared (https://ise.cisco.com/partner
"OUI data was last updated from IEEE on Wed Mar 08 13:21 GMT 2023"

I also see OUI updates from the Online Feed Service as recent as "2023-03-09 01:07:10.081" in the Change Configuration Audit report on my lab ISE 3.1p5 instance.

@Charlie Moreton @thomas are you able to confirm if partner-submitted Profiling elements are still considered in feed/offline updates?

Thanks for your reply;

So, according to your reply, Cisco needs to update its "ISE Profiling Design Guide" document.

Which profile are you importing?  How are you importing it?  How are you downloading it from the Github Repository?

I've just tried with three of the profiles in the repository

• Amazon-TV
  • OnePlus-7
  • TEAC-Device

When I right-click and 'Save link as...', the html for the repository page is also added to the .xml file.  There are two ways to download these files, one is to use the `git` command from your terminal application on MacOS or Linux.  The other is to open the file in the GitHub GUI and click the `Copy raw contents` button to copy the data in the .xml file to your clipboard.  From there, paste the contents into your favorite text editor and save it.  

CharlieMoreton_0-1678369269277.png

Now you're ready to import.

There is nothing wrong with the guide as far as this is concerned.  Verify the contents of the downloaded file with the contents shown in the repository.

Happy profiling!

Thanks;

After following your procedure, the import is now successful...