Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.7 with Apple iPhone Connection Timeouts

rsharp001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all -

I wanted to share a situation and see if anyone had thoughts or experienced the same.

We are experiencing authentication timeouts when iPhones running 14.5, more on this in a moment, or above attempt to join the wireless.  The supplicant goes through the process a few times before failing, ISE shows the endpoint timing out the connection.  We are not experiencing this with Android or laptops.

In testing with TAC I stood up a separate SSID and tied a new install of ISE to it, I adjusted our EAP certificate life down from 10 years to 1, 2, and 5 years because this was the only real thing TAC could point to, although there was also no smoking gun that it was a certificate issue with the iPhone.  They have combed through debug logs from the WLC and ISE

What we found during testing, no matter what the certificate or ISE install, is:

- Associate to the SSID

- Prompted fro username/password

- Presented with the certificate

- **if the user clicks trust instantly the connection will fail with a generic error on the phone, ISE shows the endpoint constantly reset the connection and eventually times outs (error 12934 supplicant stopped responding to ISE during PEAP tunnel establishment)

- **if the user waits 30 seconds and then trusts the certificate the phone will connect

- We tested with iPads/iPhones version 12 and 13.5 they worked without the work around, when using version 14.4 and above we have to utilize the work around.

I want to test with a certificate signed by a trusted authority but haven't taken the steps to pursue this yet.

Thank you for reading!

Robert

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lrojaslo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This issue seems particularly odd, however, I probably won't focus on ISE side but Wireless/Supplicant tshoot.

If this works fine on previous versions, I don't think that changing certificate stuff might help somehow based on the tests performed so far, also the workaround doesn't seems to point a certificate issue.  Anyways, I saw previously a behavior on recent iOS version, that required manual install of the certificates (even when Public CA was used), so you can give it a try.  

Every time new versions (IOS and Android) come out, some issues start showing up.

If you still have a TAC case, make sure Wireless resources are engaged and also try to work closely with Apple support.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lrojaslo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This issue seems particularly odd, however, I probably won't focus on ISE side but Wireless/Supplicant tshoot.

If this works fine on previous versions, I don't think that changing certificate stuff might help somehow based on the tests performed so far, also the workaround doesn't seems to point a certificate issue.  Anyways, I saw previously a behavior on recent iOS version, that required manual install of the certificates (even when Public CA was used), so you can give it a try.  

Every time new versions (IOS and Android) come out, some issues start showing up.

If you still have a TAC case, make sure Wireless resources are engaged and also try to work closely with Apple support.

Our devices that are already registered to our MDM solution do not have this issue as they have the root certificate loaded.  Currently we do not onboard in a way that could bypass this issue, we may have to edit policy and pursue it.

The concern comes from devices that are not yet registered or from BYOD instances - seems like I have the best answer I am going to get as this is not really a Cisco issue but an Apple issue.  I have reached out to their support but didn't get past level 1.

TAC has been looking at the logs from the WLC and ISE side and are seeing the same, I have not yet updated them on what we have discovered with further testing.

Robert