Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Join with Azure AD Directory Services

packet2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am currently looking at options to integrate ISE with Azure AD. From my basic understanding, Azure AD Domain Services supports traditional join operations to support legacy services. If we were to migrate to Azure AD, can ISE join Azure AD Directory services in the same way that it would with an on-prem AD server? Is this supported?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Speaker: Greg Gibbs, Cisco Security Architect 00:00 Intro 02:23 Traditional Active Directory vs Azure Active Directory 05:06 Azure AD Join Types: Registered, Joined, Hybrid Joined 07:00 Intune MDM Enrollment Options 09:08 Windows Autopilot 10:04 Windows Self-Service Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE) ...

From what I can tell based on the documentation and installing  Azure AD DS in my lab, AADDS is simply a SaaS offering by Azure for traditional Active Directory. Rather than have an IaaS deployment in the cloud where you manage the OS and deploy your own traditional Active Directory services, with AADDS the OS is managed by MS and you just have the limited control over the traditional AD services.

I was successfully able to perform the following actions in ISE using my AADDS managed domain. The functionality worked the same as with a normal traditional AD deployment on-prem or in the cloud (IaaS).

• Create an AD join point and join my ISE node to the domain
  • Add cloud-only AD groups defined in Azure AD
  • Perform a Test User lookup for a cloud-only user account in Azure AD
  • Configure Admin Access for the ISE GUI to use my AD join point, map an Azure AD group to the Super User RBAC role, and login to the ISE GUI using a cloud-only AD user account (member of the group).

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

dalbanil
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello packet2020, it is possible, here you have an excellent document that guides you on how to do it, it also contains examples of the policies on ISE that you could use for authorization, let me know if this helped.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine/216182-configure-ise-3-0-rest-id-with-azure-act.pdf

Hi @dalbanil 

Thanks for the reply, however this is not quite what I am asking. The above document is to integrate ISE with Azure AD using REST with ROPC. What I want to know is if can we join ISE to Azure AD Domain Services in the same way that we do today with traditional on-prem AD (configured under External Identity Sources -> Active Directory)? I'm aware that Azure AD DS has some limitations, however do these impact ISE join?

Great question.  Is this the same thing as a "hybrid" Azure AD environment or a totally separate thing?  Is there still an on-premise AD footprint?

This would be in the absence of on-prem AD, so cloud only and no hybrid. So we would have Azure AD with an Azure AD Domain Services managed domain.

Windows servers can join the Azure AD DS managed domain so I would be interested to know if ISE can as well.

From what I can tell based on the documentation and installing  Azure AD DS in my lab, AADDS is simply a SaaS offering by Azure for traditional Active Directory. Rather than have an IaaS deployment in the cloud where you manage the OS and deploy your own traditional Active Directory services, with AADDS the OS is managed by MS and you just have the limited control over the traditional AD services.

I was successfully able to perform the following actions in ISE using my AADDS managed domain. The functionality worked the same as with a normal traditional AD deployment on-prem or in the cloud (IaaS).

• Create an AD join point and join my ISE node to the domain
  • Add cloud-only AD groups defined in Azure AD
  • Perform a Test User lookup for a cloud-only user account in Azure AD
  • Configure Admin Access for the ISE GUI to use my AD join point, map an Azure AD group to the Super User RBAC role, and login to the ISE GUI using a cloud-only AD user account (member of the group).

Speaker: Greg Gibbs, Cisco Security Architect 00:00 Intro 02:23 Traditional Active Directory vs Azure Active Directory 05:06 Azure AD Join Types: Registered, Joined, Hybrid Joined 07:00 Intune MDM Enrollment Options 09:08 Windows Autopilot 10:04 Windows Self-Service Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE) ...