Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE licensing/upgrade question

jveteto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

A customer has ISE wireless upgrade licenses that are good until 2019. The ISE wireless licenses he has expire this month. Those licenses are End of Life so he cannot reorder these to make both term at the same time. In October, I was told he would be good but want to be double sure.

Will he be good if the wireless licenses expire since he has the upgrade licenses? Thanks!

3 Replies 3

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Were the upgrade licenses applied to the system? If yes, they should be active and they should be able to remove the legacy Wireless Only licenses. 

The best thing to do here is to check the licensing page in ISE. If possible post a screenshot of it here.

I hope this helps!

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

Thanks, Neno.

Attached is the screen shot of their license.  I hope this helps.

- Jay

Thank you for providing the screenshot! In this case you will not be able to remove the expiring wireless only license because the upgrade wireless license depends on it. Now back to your question: Cisco's documentation is not very clear on what happens if the Mobility Only license expires before the upgrade. The documentation only states that the two terms should be matched as close as possible:

Q:If I installed 5-year Wireless licenses and have 3 years remaining in the term before they expire, and I want to install Wireless Upgrade licenses, what license term should I select?

A. Select the 3-year term. The term of the Wireless Upgrade licenses should match the remaining term of the Wireless licenses as closely as possible so they expire together.

My guess is that everything will continue to work fine and your customer won't be affected but I would highly recommend confirming this with the licensing team at Cisco just to be 100% sure :)

Thank you for rating helpful posts!