cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE serial number used by Tac

gdelp
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have a customer that was trying to open a TAC case on their ISE deployment.

They went into administration – license to get the serial number.

This serial number was not recognized via TAC.

Couple of questions:

1. What serial number within ISE is used for TAC support?
  2. What command or steps within the GUI can be used to find this serial number?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From the internal PM answer since you posted in 2 places

I trust that this is a VM deployment. For VM's we started issuing PAKs with ISE 2.4 to solve this problem. The issue at hand is the customer has not been required to register the virtual machines and so there has been no record in the database of virtual machines that TAC could use to verify against service contracts. If the customer is in a position to upgrade to ISE 2.4, it is something to consider. The ISE 2.4 release notes contain the mechanism for getting the PAKs for the VMs. That will solve the registration problem and let them use the serial numbers when calling TAC. I understand that an upgrade is not something to be done overnight and the customer may want to schedule it out. In the meantime, they can just use the contract number with TAC to get service.

I suppose the customer could get the PAKs, register the serial numbers, and set the licensing files aside if they were using ISE 2.3 or earlier. They would just need to migrate the licenses to the new serial numbers when they went to ISE 2.4 or later.

I know that someone is going to think they need new PAKs when the customer moves to ISE 2.4 or later. They do not and new PAKs would not be issued. You just get the PAKs once and migrate from there.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From the internal PM answer since you posted in 2 places

I trust that this is a VM deployment. For VM's we started issuing PAKs with ISE 2.4 to solve this problem. The issue at hand is the customer has not been required to register the virtual machines and so there has been no record in the database of virtual machines that TAC could use to verify against service contracts. If the customer is in a position to upgrade to ISE 2.4, it is something to consider. The ISE 2.4 release notes contain the mechanism for getting the PAKs for the VMs. That will solve the registration problem and let them use the serial numbers when calling TAC. I understand that an upgrade is not something to be done overnight and the customer may want to schedule it out. In the meantime, they can just use the contract number with TAC to get service.

I suppose the customer could get the PAKs, register the serial numbers, and set the licensing files aside if they were using ISE 2.3 or earlier. They would just need to migrate the licenses to the new serial numbers when they went to ISE 2.4 or later.

I know that someone is going to think they need new PAKs when the customer moves to ISE 2.4 or later. They do not and new PAKs would not be issued. You just get the PAKs once and migrate from there.

Hi Jason,

What exactly is that mechanism for getting the serial number TAC enjoys?  I certainly wish all BU's could come up with a simple way to identify the TAC support required serial number consistent across all virtual platform, something like click on About and scroll down to serial number.  This is always a PITA for us and our customers!

anthonylofreso
Level 4
Level 4

This was certainly a point of frustration for us initially. I could never open a TAC case for ISE through the portal, always had to call in because the serial number in the gui was not valid from TAC's perspective.

We ended up reaching out to our VAR, and the serial number they provided was the one associated to the 10K PLS license we purchased.

No way that I can tell where you can see this number in the gui, or CLI.

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

PAK of the ISE Base license is always accepted by TAC case open tool (assuming the contract is covered with support).