cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE update about Lisens

lamex2016
Level 1
Level 1

My server is too old, ISE version 2.2.I will replace it with a new and higher configuration server, upgrading ISE to 2.7 or 3.0. I would like to know if my previous Lisens can be migrated for free or if I have to buy a new One? Can configuration migration proceed smoothly? 

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure as long as your VM image is same deployment in new hardware and new ISE version that should work.

example : thread :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-access-control/cisco-ise-small-deployment-with-medium-license/td-p/4162404

Can configuration migration proceed smoothly? 

never done this taking backup of ISE 2.7 config and restoring on ISE 3.0

But what you can do is, install on new hardware same ISE 2.7 and restore the config, (take backup or snapshot) upgrade to ISE 3.0 is good option and easy.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

A couple of things to note here

• Assuming these are VMs, you will need to migrate from the 2.2 RTU license to the VM Common (VMC) license.  This is Smart License ONLY.
  • Upgrade to the current suggested release, 3.1.  There is no point upgrading to 2.7 or 3.0 unless you have a 3515 appliance.
  • 3.X is Smart License subscription only.  You will need to convert your Base, Plus, and Apex to Essentials, Advantage, and Premier.
  • The ISE Policy Engine changed completely in ISE 2.3.  I would highly suggest deploying new ISE 3.1 nodes and re-configuring from scratch.  The auto conversion works but it quickly becomes a mess. 

Hi @lamex2016 ,

for VM:

1st. If you’re using the Old VM License (R-ISE-5VM-K9=), you should migrate the Old VM License to the Legacy VM Medium License (R-ISE-VMM-K9=) and then migrate the Legacy VM Medium License to the VM Common License !!!

2nd. Customers who are on ISE 2.X and ISE 3.0 can continue to use the Legacy VM Licenses until the EOL Date of the Licenses. They also can migrate the Legacy VM Licenses to the VM Common License and stay on ISE 2.X or ISE 3.0 !!!

Device Admin: Perpetual License for TACACS+.

Base, Plus and Apex: for RADIUS.

Note: please take a look at Cisco CCW.

CCW - 01.png

Hope this helps !!!

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure as long as your VM image is same deployment in new hardware and new ISE version that should work.

example : thread :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-access-control/cisco-ise-small-deployment-with-medium-license/td-p/4162404

Can configuration migration proceed smoothly? 

never done this taking backup of ISE 2.7 config and restoring on ISE 3.0

But what you can do is, install on new hardware same ISE 2.7 and restore the config, (take backup or snapshot) upgrade to ISE 3.0 is good option and easy.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

A couple of things to note here

• Assuming these are VMs, you will need to migrate from the 2.2 RTU license to the VM Common (VMC) license.  This is Smart License ONLY.
  • Upgrade to the current suggested release, 3.1.  There is no point upgrading to 2.7 or 3.0 unless you have a 3515 appliance.
  • 3.X is Smart License subscription only.  You will need to convert your Base, Plus, and Apex to Essentials, Advantage, and Premier.
  • The ISE Policy Engine changed completely in ISE 2.3.  I would highly suggest deploying new ISE 3.1 nodes and re-configuring from scratch.  The auto conversion works but it quickly becomes a mess. 

Hi @lamex2016 ,

beyond what @balaji.bandi and @ahollifield said ... remember that on the Old Model (your case on ISE 2.x) the Base is a Perpetual License ... on the New Model (a must on ISE 3.0+) ALL the licenses are Subscriptions.

Note: when you said " ... Can configuration migration proceed smoothly? .. ", if the upgrade is OK, then the "configuration migration" will be OK.

Hope this helps !!!

Thank you very much for your answer.For what you said, that's where I'm confused

• My license is for R-ISE-VM-K9 =

• How do I convert to VM Commo

Hi @lamex2016 ,

for VM:

1st. If you’re using the Old VM License (R-ISE-5VM-K9=), you should migrate the Old VM License to the Legacy VM Medium License (R-ISE-VMM-K9=) and then migrate the Legacy VM Medium License to the VM Common License !!!

2nd. Customers who are on ISE 2.X and ISE 3.0 can continue to use the Legacy VM Licenses until the EOL Date of the Licenses. They also can migrate the Legacy VM Licenses to the VM Common License and stay on ISE 2.X or ISE 3.0 !!!

Device Admin: Perpetual License for TACACS+.

Base, Plus and Apex: for RADIUS.

Note: please take a look at Cisco CCW.

CCW - 01.png

Hope this helps !!!

Thanks!

• But I still have my doubts.

• Old VM License (R-ISE-VM-K9 converted to (VM Small: R-ISe-VMS-K9 ,How to convert?I don't know how to convert it.I have also consulted my friend, he told me that this can not be converted, need to buy.
  • So I'm wondering if this can be converted

Hi @lamex2016 ,

please try the Cisco CCW link (check the image that I provided on the last reply) and click the L-ISE-VMC-UPG= (Cisco ISE VM Migration to Common from Legacy S/M/L):

CCW - 02.png

Hope this helps !!!

1656637937168.png

According to your suggestion, I have added it to the shopping cart, I also click, but I can't proceed to the next step 

Hi @lamex2016 ,

let`s try a different approach : )

Please email to licensing@cisco.com with the Sales Order Numbers that reflect the ISE VM purchase and your Cisco ID. asking for the License Migration.

Hope this helps !!!

That mailer is dead^^^ You will need to open a licensing TAC case using the normal TAC workflow.

谢谢!

• 但我仍然有我的怀疑。

• 旧VM许可证(R-ISE-VM-K9 =)转换为(VM Small:R-ISe-VMS-K9 =),如何转换?我不知道如何转换它。我也咨询过我的朋友,他告诉我这个不能转换,需要购买。
  • 所以我想知道这是否可以转换

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: