Views
Helpful
Replies

LLDP & CDP Closed DOT1X Mode

KatherineTran
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

From my understanding of documentation, CDP/LLDP would not be allowed until a port is authenticated when in closed mode. Low impact mode can be used for DHCP/DNS etc but CDP/LLDP being a layer 2 protocol what options do we have if using for profiling?

Or should I try to use DHCP for profiling for this reason?

KT

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chapter 23 Closed Mode of the book Cisco ISE for BYOD and Secure Unified Access has a figure, showing EAP and CDP allowed before authentication.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

@KatherineTran you'll get more information of the connected endpoints if you use CDP, LLDP and DHCP via device sensor.

On ISE you can configure a Change of Authorisation (CoA) to be sent when a device is matched against a new profile, this can enabled globally or per profile. So therefore when the device connect for the first time, once profiled, a CoA is automatically sent and the device re-runs through authorisation and potentially matches a different authorisation rule.

Hi Rob,

I believe dot1x in closed mode will not allow CDP/LLDP/DHCP to function and therefore profile the device initially so it will not be able to get to that state?

Thanks

KT

@KatherineTran correct, CDP/LLDP/DHCP is only sent if the interface is authenticated/authorised.

Even if the device fails to authenticate, at a minimum ISE should be able to determine the vendor by the MAC OUI and create a database entry. When a device does successfully authenticate/authorise, ISE will learn more information from CDP/LLDP, the endpoint profile is updated.

Regardless, in an ISE deployment you'd normally start in open/monitor mode, so the endpoints should already be profiled before moving to closed mode.

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chapter 23 Closed Mode of the book Cisco ISE for BYOD and Secure Unified Access has a figure, showing EAP and CDP allowed before authentication.