cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAB endpoints gets APIPA IP after the succesfull authentication

yasir-zubair
Level 1
Level 1

We are facing issues related to the ATM, Printers they all have static IP adresses. After succcesfull authetication of the MAB it works fine but after sometime maybe 2 hours or 5 hours they get APIPA IP adresss. Issue gets resolved after shut/noshut of the interface or plug/unplug the ethernet wire. We face the issue on the regular basis. We are using cisco ISE 3.2 version  and Cisco Catalyst 1000 series switch. Can anyone help us for this issue.

This is the config of the port 

description << USER-PORT >>
switchport access vlan 100
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 110
authentication control-direction in
authentication event server dead action authorize vlan 100
authentication event server dead action authorize voice
authentication event server alive action reinitialize
authentication host-mode multi-auth
authentication order dot1x mab
authentication priority dot1x mab
authentication port-control auto
mab
dot1x pae authenticator
dot1x timeout tx-period 25
spanning-tree portfast edge

10 Replies 10

I will start check the AAA are it alive or not 
if not 
then these 
authentication event server dead action authorize vlan 110
authentication event server dead action authorize voice

this meaning any device try to auth and AAA dead it get vlan 110 but it is VoIP not data client 
MHM

If they have a static IP that should never change.  This to me sounds like a printer network stack bug.

I agree with @ahollifield, if the printers have static IP addresses assigned and the issue is fixed by disconnecting/shut and reconnecting/unshut the ports it seems that there is something wrong on those devices network cards themselves. I would try to contact the vendor asking support, maybe a firmware upgrade would fix the issue.

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

One way to rule out if NAC is the cause, is to remove all the NAC config on one printer port to the most basic commands only. 

If by some miracle, removing NAC fixes it, then check if you enable a regular session-reauth when such a printer connects?  If so, I would consider removing the session-reauth from the ISE Authorization Profile, and checking if the IP state is more stable as a result. I have had to do that on certain devices that don't handle session-reauth well. 

I would think also that Adam and Aref are on the right track with their thinking! But at least prove it by removing NAC for a day.

@Arne Bier i have remove the authentication commands from the access port then it works fine without getting the APIPA IP. Issue occurs only when authentication commands are there. we are not doing re-authentication and also i have check after clearing the session from the interface it still shows the apipa ip. Only shut/noshut is the solution. IP Device tracking is enabled by default on switches and if i do show ip device tracking all APIPA IP againt the mab endpoint mac address is visible.

you mention static IP and APIPA IP is only for DHCP 
so I think you meaning using MAC of printer to assing static IP via DHCP 
and as I mention before 
show authentication session interface <<- check the domain 
show mac address <<- check the vlan appear for printer MAC

MHM

If turning off the reauthentication on those ports fixes the issue, then you can disable the reauthentication only for those ports through the authorization profile of those printers in ISE. You can do that via the RADIUS custom attributes.

Did you ever get this resolved?  I have exactly the same issue using ISE 2.7 with Cisco 1000 switches and ATM machines with static addresses.  I've just changed the authentication priority and order to MAB first in an attempt to remedy.  Was just curious if there was a known fix in your case.  Thanks

make new post 

MHM

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

I have another theory. What we know about printers, is that most of the time they don't send any traffic. Therefore, after some time, the authenticated session would become inactive and then session manager might be clearing the session. 

Are you using IBNS 2.0?  I ran into an issue once with a customer using a certain model of Cisco desk phones. When the phones were idle, they didn't send any packets other than CDP every 60 seconds. And the switch's Inactivity Timer was also 60 seconds. The discrepancy/sync was out by a few micro/milliseconds, but that caused a clearing of the session and re-auth every 60 seconds when the phone was idle. The solution was to decrease the Device-Tracking probe interval to be less than the inactivity timer.

Below is a typical IBNS 2.0 Policy - the important stuff is the last two events

policy-map type control subscriber PORT-AUTH-POLICY
 event session-started match-all
  10 class always do-until-failure
   10 authenticate using dot1x priority 10
 event authentication-failure match-first
  5 class DOT1X_FAILED do-until-failure
   10 terminate dot1x
   20 authenticate using mab priority 20
  15 class AAA_SVR_DOWN_UNAUTHD_HOST do-until-failure
   10 clear-authenticated-data-hosts-on-port
   20 activate service-template CRITICAL_DATA_TEMPLATE
   30 activate service-template CRITICAL_VOICE_TEMPLATE
   40 authorize
   50 pause reauthentication
  20 class AAA_SVR_DOWN_AUTHD_HOST do-until-failure
   10 pause reauthentication
   20 authorize
  30 class DOT1X_NO_RESP do-until-failure
   10 terminate dot1x
   20 authenticate using mab priority 20
  40 class MAB_FAILED do-until-failure
   10 terminate mab
   20 authentication-restart 60
  60 class always do-until-failure
   10 terminate dot1x
   20 terminate mab
   30 authentication-restart 60
 event agent-found match-all
   10 terminate mab
   20 authenticate using dot1x priority 10
 event aaa-available match-all
  10 class IN_CRITICAL_AUTH do-until-failure
   10 clear-session
  20 class NOT_IN_CRITICAL_AUTH do-until-failure
   10 resume reauthentication
 event inactivity-timeout match-all
   10 clear-session
 event authentication-success match-all
   10 activate service-template IA-TIMER

After any successful authorization, the "authentication-success" event would trigger, and set an IN-TIMER of 60 seconds. If the device does not send any data within 60 seconds, then the "inactivity-timeout" event would clear the session.

In my case, notice the keyword "probe" at the end?  It didn't send any ARP probes after 60 seconds. That was part of the problem. We suspected a buggy IOS.

service-template IA-TIMER
 inactivity-timer 60 probe

The fix was to make the device-tracking probe more aggressive, by checking every 30 seconds if it gets an ARP response. If it does (because printer is idle, but it's still there and responding to ARP), then it resets the Inactivity-Timer, and session doesn't get cleared.

device-tracking policy IPDT_POLICY
 no protocol udp
 tracking enable reachable-lifetime 30

In case it's IBNS 1.0 I don't recall if you can achieve the same thing. 

Another crucial command, especially for devices that go to sleep, is the "access-session control-direction in" - to support Wake on LAN (WOL)

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/22
 description Raspberry Pi
 switchport access vlan 200
 switchport mode access
 switchport nonegotiate
 switchport voice vlan 100
 device-tracking attach-policy IPDT_POLICY
 ip access-group PREAUTH_ACL in
 power efficient-ethernet auto
 authentication periodic
 authentication timer reauthenticate server
 access-session control-direction in
 access-session port-control auto
 mab
 dot1x pae authenticator
 spanning-tree portfast
 spanning-tree bpduguard enable
 spanning-tree guard root
 service-policy type control subscriber PORT-AUTH-POLICY

Might be worth investigating - do whatever you can to check that the session never goes inactive, and use the ARP probing to keep it alive.