Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from 2-Node ISE Deployment to Hybrid Distributed

georgip
Level 1
Level 1

Running version 2.7.0.356 ISE Basic 2-node redundant deployment
Is there a guide or procedure to scale out the deployment and run up to 6 PSN in a distributed environment, keeping the PAN and MnT on the existing nodes? Admin + MnT on Same Appliance; Policy Service on Dedicated Appliance (VMs)

Thank you

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ISE 2.7 going to soon end of life, if you looking to upgrade or migrate ...Look for ISE 3.X  (for Long term support)

Look at the distributed deployment guide : 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/3-0/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide30/b_ise_InstallationGuide30_chapter_1.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello balaji.bandi,

thank you for replying but I my question is related to the migration and not related to an upgrade to different version.

I mentioned 2.7 because this is the version we are running and once I successfully scale out the deployment, have PSNs running, I can move to higher version of ISE. 

In the link that you shared - we are running a Split deployment and would like to move to a Medium-Sized ISE deployment

but I my question is related to the migration

Migration to what ?   - the document provide how you can deploy hybrid with different roles ? - is that missing ?

we are running a Split deployment and would like to move to a Medium-Sized ISE deployment

is this what your requirement?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

georgip
Level 1
Level 1

*migration from split deployment to medium-sized deployment with PSNs

I am deploying PSNs now and would like to know the next step in associating them with the PANs and the procedure for that in a live production environment.

Thank you.

hi @georgip , once configured the new psn nodes within your environment,  these ones  needs to be configured as standalone , then you need to associate them through a registration process that you need to do in the GUI PAN, please refer to the following documentation https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-7/admin_guide/b_ise_27_admin_guide/b_ISE_admin_27_deployment.html#ID177 , when registering from the PAN dashboard in the menu Administration>System>deployment , you need to add the fqdn of the newest nodes ( this does not impact the previous nodes operation unless the new node that you are associating replaces some of the functionalities MNT or Admin that your older nodes have ) . kindly review also this other documentation that may serve your purposes https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2020/pdf/DGTL-BRKSEC-3432-reference.pdf 

Rate and comment if that helped you. 

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is not a detailed, step by step guide but it covers an overview of the process:

ISE Deployment Architectures: Nodes, Services and Scale 20220113

04:19 ISE Nodes: Appliances, VMs, Cloud
07:50 Free, 90-day ISE Evaluation Licenses with every installation
08:56 ISE Personas: PAN, MNT, PSN, PXG
14:06 ISE Personas Example Flow
16:44 ISE Deployment: Standalone ISE Node
17:59 ISE Deployment: Small
19:01 ISE Deployment: Small 3 Node
20:33 ISE Deployment: Medium and Multiple Regions
22:43 ISE Deployment: Medium to Large

georgip
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Thomas. Your basic video series are great and really helpful for beginners .