Views
Helpful
Replies

Powershell script for add device in Cisco ISE

Etlicher
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I Would like create the script for add the device (PC with Mac address and description). is it possible to create it with powerhsell

? Or Python ? If both works, which is the most appropriate? 

Thx for your help guys !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Definitely agree with @Colby LeMaire on the preference topic.

I have shared something in the past on the forums that may add value to something that you are trying to accomplish, or at least get you pointed in the right direction.

See this post: https://community.cisco.com/t5/identity-services-engine-ise/python-scripts-for-automation-with-ise-api/td-p/3914741

Good luck & HTH!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Colby LeMaire
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can use whichever language is more comfortable for you.  I have even written API scripts for ISE using Perl.  The language doesn't matter as long as it gives you the ability to use REST API calls.  My opinion is that Powershell is more accessible since it is on every Windows PC now and Python requires you to install the software before you can execute the Python scripts.  But it is just a personal preference.

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Definitely agree with @Colby LeMaire on the preference topic.

I have shared something in the past on the forums that may add value to something that you are trying to accomplish, or at least get you pointed in the right direction.

See this post: https://community.cisco.com/t5/identity-services-engine-ise/python-scripts-for-automation-with-ise-api/td-p/3914741

Good luck & HTH!

Ben Walters
Level 3
Level 3

I use Powershell exclusively for my network scripts since as mentioned above it is part of the standard Windows image. I also liked how it handled and processed REST calls using the invoke-restmethod cmdlet for the ISE API and I just prefer Powershell over python for scripting in a windows environment.

Do you have anything coded yet or at least have an idea on what exactly you want the script to accomplish? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: