Views
Helpful
Replies

Seeking Clarity on 2FA "compatibility" with ISE

ggriesse@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi all 

I just want to be clear on 2FA support with ISE , i have a customer mainly asking for 2FA on AAA for wired/Wireless Auth 

From what I understand the following is possible with 2FA ?

1) Admin Logins on ISE portals 

2) VPN AAA (AnyConnect and ISE Auth) 

3) TACACS+ 

what is NOT possible with 2FA ?

1) Normal AAA on Wired and Wireless (EAP-MSchap or EAP-TLS) 

2) Other NON-Admin Portals on ISE 

Is that correct ? 

Thx

Greg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

3) TACACS+
Correct.
One option not relating to this comment: When I say 2FA - the custom is expecting something like DUO / RSA Token / Google Auth / Microsoft Authenticator is to use Yubikey. It is simply just another physical medium that will allow you to accomplish 2FA.
Not sure if you are running NAM with Anyconnect, but I know you can run with eap-fast to accomplish eap-chaining. Essentially in this scenario you would use eap-fast with eap-tls to authenticate computers via certificate and users via Yubikey + pin. I have tested this and this works if you have the appropriate hardware and drivers.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Surendra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Depends on your definition of 2FA. Can you please let us the customer’s expectation of 2FA or what they have in mind to do with ISE ? ISE in itself does not provide the 2FA but does work with other authentication servers/providers to facilitate this to an extent. Check these out https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/two-factor-authentication-on-ise-2fa-on-ise/ta-p/3636120 , https://community.cisco.com/t5/identity-services-engine-ise/ise-as-two-factor-authentication-tool/td-p/3450391 , https://community.cisco.com/t5/vpn-and-anyconnect/ise-two-factor-authentication-with-different-identity-store/td-p/3428646

Ok Fair enough I should have been clearer ...

When I say 2FA - the custom is expecting something like DUO / RSA Token / Google Auth / Microsoft Authenticator 

/Greg

3) TACACS+
Correct.
One option not relating to this comment: When I say 2FA - the custom is expecting something like DUO / RSA Token / Google Auth / Microsoft Authenticator is to use Yubikey. It is simply just another physical medium that will allow you to accomplish 2FA.
Not sure if you are running NAM with Anyconnect, but I know you can run with eap-fast to accomplish eap-chaining. Essentially in this scenario you would use eap-fast with eap-tls to authenticate computers via certificate and users via Yubikey + pin. I have tested this and this works if you have the appropriate hardware and drivers.

Thx for the replies

the customer wants second-factor auth for AAA for Wired and Wireless for all devices 

So from what I understand the only way to do 2FA (MFA) via token / Ubikey / Whatever on Wired/Wireless AAA is using eap-fast ? ie NO EAP-Mschav2 or EAP-TLS ?

That means it will exclude Mobile devices .. as clients will have to use AC Nam with EAP chaining ...

Is that correct? any other ways to achieve this?

"the customer wants second-factor auth for AAA for Wired and Wireless for all devices " -- > This is not possible with the way ISE works right now. I am assuming you mean to say 802.1x authentication with multi factor authentication. To be honest, the protocol itself doesn't support this.

If you really want that you could force them through a CWA portal using SAML to DUO for example