cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial console access to SNS-3595 for quick CIMC configuration?

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi

Is it possible to configure a SNS-3595 via a serial console cable to configure the initial CIMC config via CLI? 

If so, what is the baud rate, XON/XOFF etc.  - and is this using with a standard blue (null modem) Cisco rolled cable?

I worked on UCS C series servers many moons ago and I struggled to connect my Cisco rolled/rollover console cable to a UCS server. It may have been that the CIMC comes with that port disabled at factory.  Not sure

I have not had the pleasure of working with SNS-3595 yet (I have been lucky to only deal with VM installs). 

But I have a customer with 6 servers and I was wondering if anyone out there has been able to perform such a CIMC prep using the serial console.

I like the UCS CIMC command line interface.  It saves me having to faff around with USB keyboards and VGA monitor cables etc.  I can also copy and paste all the commands I need into the CLI.  And once that initial config is done I will of course manage the CIMC via the Ethernet management port etc.

thanks in advance

Arne

6 Replies 6

Nidhi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Arne,

From our CLI guide-  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/cli_guide/b_ise_CLIReferenceGuide_24/b_ise_CLIReferenceGuide_24_chapter_00.html

"

If you need to configure Cisco ISE locally without connecting to a wired Local Area Network (LAN), you can connect a system to the console port in the Cisco ISE device by using a null-modem cable. The serial console connector (port) provides access to the Cisco ISE CLI locally by connecting a terminal to the console port. The terminal is a system running terminal-emulation software or an ASCII terminal. The console port (EIA/TIA-232 asynchronous) requires only a null-modem cable.

• To connect a system running terminal-emulation software to the console port, use a DB-9 female to DB-9 female null-modem cable.

• To connect an ASCII terminal to the console port, use a DB-9 female to DB-25 male straight-through cable with a DB-25 female to DB-25 female gender changer.

The default parameters for the console port are 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, and no hardware flow control. "

Thanks,

Nidhi

Hi @Nidhi - oh ok. So the RJ-45 console port on the chassis ties to the operating system, and not to the CIMC.

When I read the SNS-3595 install guide I was confused

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-0-1/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide201/b_ise_InstallationGuide201_chapter_01.html#id_11053

I was hoping to access the CIMC in the most simple manner possible (i.e. not needing a keyboard or monitor).  I suppose I could connect the servers to a VLAN that has DHCP and then monitor the DHCP server to see what IP's it hands out.  And then perhaps ssh to that IP. 

thanks

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I carry around a USB KVM with me if i'm going in to a DC.
https://www.startech.com/Server-Management/KVM-Switches/USB-Crash-Cart-Adapter~NOTECONS02

very fancy - you can send me one as a Christmas gift ;-)  I don't work much with servers to warrant buying such a device.  Much rather prefer vSphere :)

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This might work -- Smart Access: Serial

Thanks @hslai - next time I am in front of a server I will try this.  If anyone else beats me to it then please report back :-)