Views
Helpful
Replies

SFTP / SCP using WinSCP error - help

rui.vieira1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all -

I'm trying to access my ASA 5510 firewalls using WinSCP on SFTP (or SCP) protocol on port 22. I can authenticate (LOCAL database on AAA rules) but then can go no further as it throws an error message at me (pic attached).

I can SSH on port 22 (putty) successfully. Can also access it via the ASDM software.

This is all done inside the network on an IP address that has access rights to the ASA for management.

Hope one of you genius folks can help me resolve this cheeky pest of a problem.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you trying to access the filesystem on the ASA? If yes, then I don't believe WinSCP is supported by ASA's due to the mechanics of how WinSCP works. Some of your other alternatives are:

- ASDM > Tools > File Management

- SecuireFX > SCP

- SCP on MAC/Linux

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you trying to access the filesystem on the ASA? If yes, then I don't believe WinSCP is supported by ASA's due to the mechanics of how WinSCP works. Some of your other alternatives are:

- ASDM > Tools > File Management

- SecuireFX > SCP

- SCP on MAC/Linux

Thanks Neno - that's what I needed :)

Is it possible to backup the ASA by downloading the files on it, and in essence not requiring the use of a TFTP server at all?

Thanks

Yes you can, go to ASDM > Tools > Backup > Check either all items to be backed up or only the desired ones. You can use the same menu then to later perform a restore.