cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Licensing issue ISE 2.4 patch 14

stephendrkw
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I need to upgrade from ISE 2.4 to 3.0, before doing so I converted my traditional Licenses into Smart, these Licenses are now appearing in my Smart Account.

I initially used the Transparent Gateway option as the connection method and entered a token, this connected fine but I downloaded the wrong ISE licenses so I disabled ISE licensing, since doing this I can no longer enable Smart Licensing the button is greyed out and I am logged in as admin.

Over the weekend I stopped/starting ISE services form the CLI, and to my surprise the Enable button is still greyed out! Please find attached a screenshot of my problem.

Any ideas, possible bug?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

stephendrkw
Level 3
Level 3

@Arne Bier I upgraded from 2.4 patch 14 to 3.0 patch 4 today (not without problems BTW, I managed to fix everything in the end). After my upgrade was finished this License error no longer appears under the Licensing page for 3.0. I was also able to register with Smart Licensing and pull and my licenses from our Smart Portal via Transparent Gateway with my Token code successfully. I have reported this back to TAC, I'm not sure whether we will ever find out the issue............. before my upgrade, I even cleared all my browser (Chrome) cache and tried another browser (Edge) still the same issue, Enable button greyed out.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Sounds fishy to me. It should at least allow you to run Smart in eval mode - unless you have already exhausted the 90 days?

I don't recall this being discussed in the Community before - perhaps best to raise a TAC case.

Hi Arne,

I have a TAC opened and they have advised to reboot the Server. I will do this out of Production hours.

In regards to Smart, I only enabled Smart about a week ago and ran Smart for only 24 hours before switching back to traditional and I also I found out according to the Cisco Licensing Team there are currently 2 TAC cases open for this same problem.

I'll post the outcome.

@stephendrkw - have you tried to toggle the Smart Licensing off (disable Smart to re-enable traditional licensing), then enable Smart (eval) and then see if the button is active again?

stephendrkw
Level 3
Level 3

@Arne Bier I upgraded from 2.4 patch 14 to 3.0 patch 4 today (not without problems BTW, I managed to fix everything in the end). After my upgrade was finished this License error no longer appears under the Licensing page for 3.0. I was also able to register with Smart Licensing and pull and my licenses from our Smart Portal via Transparent Gateway with my Token code successfully. I have reported this back to TAC, I'm not sure whether we will ever find out the issue............. before my upgrade, I even cleared all my browser (Chrome) cache and tried another browser (Edge) still the same issue, Enable button greyed out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: