Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading ACS from 5.6 to 5.8.1 and license

phi.aarde
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Do I need to insert a new license file after performing an application upgrade bundle (so NOT re-imaging) from 5.6 to 5.8.1 ?

thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

3iron
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Phi,

I am currently planning an upgrade from 5.6.0.22.7 to 5.8.1.4. This has involved testing the application bundle upgrade process a few times.

Licensing was one query I had too. In my experience - the application upgrade bundle process retains the licence information as part of the upgrade. i.e. there is no need to reapply a new file

I had an open case with Cisco TAC who recommended to screenshots the licensing information under;

- System Administration > Configuration > Licensing > Base Server License

- System Administration > Configuration > Licensing >Feature Options

This is in case the upgrade failed catastrophically in an absolute worst case scenario - the screenshots could then be provided to Cisco who would provide replacement license files

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

3iron
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Phi,

I am currently planning an upgrade from 5.6.0.22.7 to 5.8.1.4. This has involved testing the application bundle upgrade process a few times.

Licensing was one query I had too. In my experience - the application upgrade bundle process retains the licence information as part of the upgrade. i.e. there is no need to reapply a new file

I had an open case with Cisco TAC who recommended to screenshots the licensing information under;

- System Administration > Configuration > Licensing > Base Server License

- System Administration > Configuration > Licensing >Feature Options

This is in case the upgrade failed catastrophically in an absolute worst case scenario - the screenshots could then be provided to Cisco who would provide replacement license files

Hope this helps,

Hi Davies,

thank you very much for the info, appreciated !

Hi Davies,

I got a reply from Cisco Licensing yesterday confirming your answer:

Please be advised that license for ACS is not version specific, it is also non-node-locked. Meaning the old license file can also be used to any other ACS servers. You can also use ACS v5.6 license file to your v5.8'.

For future reference: You can obtain your software license at this site: https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/LicensingUI/Quickstart#.

Once you arrive at this site, you will need to enter in your Cisco.com user ID and your password to access this site.

Please follow the below steps to resend the license file:

1-            Log in License Registration Portal using your Cisco.com ID

2-            Under “Manage”, go to either “Licenses” or “Devices” tab.

3-            If the device/license in question is listed, select the device, then “Actions” then “Resend”.

4-            If the device/license in question is not listed, do one of the following:

1. Resend license without adding the device (not available for all product families):

-              Without selecting any device, in the “Actions” menu, select “Resend”.

-              Follow the steps to complete the resend function

1. Add the device then resend the license:

-              Under “Devices” tab, select “Add device”

-              Provide the requested information on the screen.

-              Tip: the “Help” link will provide guidance on which device identifier you should select.