Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN for Printers

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Can anyone speak on the validity of it being more secure to have printers in their own VLAN as opposed to in teh same VLAN with workstations?  I have heard arguments both for and against.

Thanks in advance!

All replies rated!

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you using ISE and good to have their own VLAN, so you can group them whom it can interact with and whom it has not required.

If not ISE environement, also suggested different VLAN, so you can each identify any issue, i know it is more administrative task with out ISE here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

All modern printer drivers uses protocols which can be routed, print jobs can either be sent to print servers or directly to the printers themselves. Therefore position in the network from a reachability perspective is not an issue.

You could argue that by placing the printers in a separate VLAN, it is easy to control what devices can reach them, ie. ACLs permitting access only from printer servers.

One of the defining uses of VLANs was to separate corporate functions, so workstations vs printers is one such example.

Personally I would place them in separate VLANs.

cheers,

Seb.

cmarva
Level 4
Level 4

in my experience, this is dictated by compliance requirements. I have worked in places where it doesn't matter, and I have worked in places where the printers had to be on their own vlan.

I don't think either model is more secure than the other, on the surface. But having the printers on their own vlan makes it easier to secure them if you have to.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: