cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wifi Guests need to reauthenticate when loosing connection

dirks_2
Level 1
Level 1

We have Wifi deployment with ISE 1.1.4 authenticating our guest users through CWA.

Whenever a client looses connection for a short time they need to reautenticate by putting in their username and password again.

This is very annoying. Is ther a solution/best practice for this problem?

13 Replies 13

Venkatesh Attuluri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Activated Guest can cache their credentials via dot1x supplicant instead of having them login to guest via redirection every time they connect to the network

Hi Vattullu

We have ISE 1.2 in production. For guest users we are using centralized web authentication. Users can successfully authenticate and able to access internet. But after a certain period of time (eg.15 mins) they loose connectivity to internet but still they are connected to guest SSID. They can re authenticate with the same credentials but again after a certain period they need to re authenticate.

We have set time profiles in ISE as 2 hrs, 4hrs and 8 hrs. I have checked the WLC configuration in for guest SSID and the session timeout tab was already disabled. Is there any settings in ISE that we are missing?. Please advise.

What version of WLC are you using?

version: 7.6.100
Model: 5508

You should upgrade your WLC

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCul43158

Thanks..

What about if we use the web authentication of WLC and not with ISE.

Is that a bug of controller or integration with ISE?

I don't know if this bug is related to ISE.

Please, create a new SSID and test without ISE.

Hi Team,

We have upgraded the WLC from 7.6.100  to 7.6.130 but the issue still persist. Anybody can help on this??

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCul43158

This is not a bug, it happens because there are timers on a WLC, that when they expire, or when a device actively disassociates from an ssid, will get removed from the WLC, and the next time you connect, a new session is created, and as such must be autheticated in ISE. You can change the timers on the SSID and globally, which is default set to 300 secs.

Rather than setting the session timeout globally, you can set it via RADIUS in the AuthZ policy. We use this to stop Guest users from having to re-auth everytime they disconnect fro the wireless, works well

This worked |||||....Configured the Radius: Session and Idle time out and everything goes smooth. Thanks for the solution provided.

Hi,

Try by creating new time profile and set the time duration 8 hr and account type from login.

and then check guest user that login as per this time profile, is that still face the same issue or not. 

evanspall
Level 1
Level 1

I have been getting similar problems with the ISE Guest function in 1.1.4. I am on the WISM2 controller on version 7.4.110 (unlike OP who is on 5508)

I'm in the process of setting up an alternate ssid to make guests use the dot1x supplicant to authenticate as opposed to the portal (much like vattullu's suggestion), but this doesn't work for un-activated guests. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: